Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GasDryer-Kenmore70 - Mdl# 110-97573220 - Heat & Turn Off Issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rrmontoya

rrmontoya

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:06 AM

Greetings,

I have an eleven year old Kenmore Series 70 gas dryer in my basement which up till now hasn't had a single problem.  However during a run of clothing on low heat setting noticed that the (1) timer was not turning off after 3 hours and upon inspection the clothing were still damp, (2) no heat.

• Initially, I unplugged dryer from power for 15 minutes,  replugged and still had same issue at all settings with both a partially loaded and empty dryer.  Did not hear the usual click on of the ignitor and the familar burner sound.
  • I then looked through the front panel hole at the burner assembly and did not see any glow or flame.
  • I then unplugged the power, turned off the the gas, opened the dryer, and cleaned out the main cabinet, during my cleaning I did not note any charring and  everything did appear to be properly connected.  However, I did note what appeared to be pieces of rust like sand particles in the bottom of the burner assembly tube  which I then vacuumed out. (max. 1/8 cup in total )
  • I reassembled, retested, failed (expected) and then unplugged again.
 It would seem that the two symptoms are part of the same root cause.   What do you think may be the issue?  What are the appropriate steps which I could take to determine this before escalating to either an appliance servicer ($70 to show up & then parts & labor), or purchase a new dryer @ ~ $400.

Your experience & wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:19 AM

These dryers last forever, at eleven years old give it a tune-up. Ignitor, sensor, set of valve coils, belt , tension pulley and rollers. If your not seeing a glow at all it could be the ignitor or the sensor. First check that someone didn't put it on air fluff, don't laugh it happens! :D

#3 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:23 AM

The first thing to check on this model is the thermal fuse.  Sounds like no power to ignitor.  Remove the back panel and to the left on the blower housing is the fuse.   It's  usually white with 2 wires going to it.  You can ohm this fuse out to see if it's good or you can connect these wires temp.  to see if your burner fires up.   If it does,  replace the fuse and you should be set to go...Unplug the unit before jumping these wires...Ron

#4 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:31 AM

Whoops, how could I forget. If that's the problem also check and clean the vent

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:10 AM

Yes, dryers will not advance in the auto dry cycle unless the heat circut is working since the timer motor gets its voltage thru the heat circut when it cycles off, but the timer would advance in the timed dry cycle, but still no heat.  Fix the no heat problem and all is solved.  Suspect the ignitor or the thermal fuse first.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 Lurker_Out O' Heat_*

Lurker_Out O' Heat_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:07 PM

I have the same problem and it is definitely the Thermal Fuse as I tested the conitnuity. I have a new one on order but I have a question: Is it okay to run the dryer with the Thermal Fuse wires jumped until the new fuse arrives? It would only be for a couple of loads.

#7 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:00 PM

Should be ok,  No more than that,   stand over it,   you don't want to light up the world..replace that fuse...Ron

#8 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:45 PM

The "rust like sand particles" may be pieces of the ignitor, worth checking.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#9 rrmontoya

rrmontoya

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:25 PM

To all Masters:

Root cause:  Bad Thermal Fuse.

Process:

• I disconnected vent, attached shopvac to blew line to ensure clear.
  • After ensuring dryer unplugged from outlet I removed the rear cover. 
  • I unclipped both the top blue wire & bottom red wire from the fuse.
  • I tested the new fuse with both a digital & analog multimeter at the lowest settings (X10 on my analog & 20 on my digital) to get a baseline of expected reading.  .
  • Digital reading .5, analog reading all they way to the right
  • I the tried both meters on the old fuse and saw no movement on either.
  • Unscrewed the old and attached the new, and then retested resistance to ensure I didn't fudge anything up.
  • Reattached wires in same previous order
  • Buttoned up back after vacuuming out, reattached vent.
  • Connected power
  • Turned gas back on.
  • Prayed
  • Stuck in a shirt I hate
  • Set to high heat
  • Prayed again
  • Pushed the 'On' button
  • Watched beautiful flame fill burner tube
  • Ran for 15 mikes and then timer shut off
  • Drank victory beer & trying to convince wife that I need 'reward'
  • Next step, tune up and replace parts as per recommendation.
Thank you all for your help.  Saved me ~$400 for the new dryer wife had to cancel (no trust in my skills or tutelage).

Best Regards to All

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics