Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

White-Westinghouse Washer spin noise

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 millworker301

millworker301

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:13 AM

White-Westinghouse washer model # WWX233RBS1

When spin cycle runs there is a noise that I can't seem to isolate. starts spin fine and into the cycle it starts this noise. I will try to describe it the best that I can. It is a loud clicking type noise. Almost like those little toy cars that you rev up by dragging on the floor and then letting go.

I removed the front to watch it when it was making the noise the belt and pulleys will be rotating fine and the noise is going on. If I raise the lid, which makes the motor stop and the belt drive stop. The noise will continue as the spinning tub rotates. So I that pretty much eliminates the motor for me. I don't know what the gear box between the driven pulley and the bottom of the tub does. Thanks for any help. I know noises are a hard thing to convey.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:50 PM

Can you replicate the noise if you spin the tub by hand?

#3 millworker301

millworker301

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:40 PM

I don't know but I will try it tomorrow.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:56 PM

My bet would be the lower spin clutch/bearing going out and parts that are getting ready to fall out clicking like cards in a bicylce spokes.

Try to turn the spin basket by hand from top, you should be able to spin it very smooth and easy in one direction then it should totally lock up solid in the oposite direction. If you are able to turn it in the oposite direction of smooth spin then the lower clutch/bearing is gone. and you need to replace the transmission.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 millworker301

millworker301

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:16 AM

Is this clutch bearing in the transmission repairable or do I have to get a new transmission. I repaired a Kenmore transmission about 8 years ago that was supposedly not repairable.

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:44 AM

it is an l.g.s. spring,much like a sprague clutch and also has a large roller bearing,i have attempted to repair them in the past- wasn't very successful tho- you require a torch etc just to remove the old bearing and the new one is almost impossible to install without damaging it- are you sure the noise is coming from this bearing? the shipping bolt under the dome has been removed hasn't it?? - the snubber ring that the suspension "floats" on can make quite a racket-
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:20 AM

The clicking noise is usually the snubber on these, like kdog says, certainly worth a look.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:46 AM

[user=637]kdog[/user] wrote:

it is an l.g.s. spring,much like a sprague clutch and also has a large roller bearing,i have attempted to repair them in the past- wasn't very successful tho- you require a torch etc just to remove the old bearing and the new one is almost impossible to install without damaging it- are you sure the noise is coming from this bearing? the shipping bolt under the dome has been removed hasn't it?? - the snubber ring that the suspension "floats" on can make quite a racket-

Kdog, Frigidaire has done away with l.g.s. ?? spring, they now use a one-way roller bearing setup in the lower bearing and it appears that they are pressed onto the lower transmission housing/shaft, (the only way to purchase a lower bearing is the complete transmission or the compelete lower transmission case - which then involves splitting the case, draining oil, swapping all parts over, NOT WORTH IT).

As far as reliablity, I think the spring setup lasted longer and saw much less problems with them. See many of the new one-way bearings failing where they will not lock up and the transmission will turn freely in both directions or the bearing just freezes up completely.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 millworker301

millworker301

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for all of the great info. Can you give me an explanation of what the snubber is and where I find it. If this sounds like I don't know what I am doing, well it may just be because I am not an appliance repair man. I do maintenance in a production factory and the term is not familiar to me. While I wait to hear from you guys I am going to do some looking on my own to find out what this part is.

If the snubber is bad can it be replaced? Is it a high cost part? Thanks again.

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:17 AM

The snubber is a plastic ring that is about 9" to 10" in diameter and about 1-1/2" tall with teflon glide rings on both edges.

It is located between the base plate of the machine and the milkstool that the transmission and tub assembly all set on.

It's not a real hard job to replace, just lots of work to pull every thing out to replace it.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics