Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Bosch dishwasher SHU33A06UC/22 taking long to wash

John.Smith

I have a bosch dishwasher (SHU33A06UC/22) that's taking forever to wash, over 4 hours. When it does finally come to and end, dishes are not clean, and there is grime left inside the dishwasher. I ran a test by holding the 'Power Scrub Plus' and 'Rinse & Hold' buttons and then pressing the on/off button. The red leds above 'Power Scrub Plus' and 'Regular Wash' start blinking soon right away. From what I understand, these indicate a heater and water filling faults, respectively. The former would perhaps explain the long running cycle, the dishwasher isn't able to heat water to the required temperature, whereas the latter would account for the washing residue staying inside the dishwasher?

Either way, not sure what to do next. :-) Please advise.

Thanks,

John

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John.Smith

• Budget Appliance Repair

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• cmlewis1272

• Team Samurai

Let's apply the Samurai Superposition Theorem and break this down into component problems:

3 hours ago, John.Smith said:

The former would perhaps explain the long running cycle, the dishwasher isn't able to heat water to the required temperature, whereas the latter would account for the washing residue staying inside the dishwasher?

1. Water Filling: Start the dishwasher, listen for the wash motor to start, open the door and note the water fill level in the basin. Cancel the cycle to energize the drain pump, let it finish, open the door and note the fill level in the basin again. Report. 

2. Water Heating: First confirm that water is filling. Heating will not occur unless water is in the basin. Then check the heating system by following the procedure on this page: 

First off, thanks for replying. Did what you asked, not sure I waited long enough, but it made sounds like when it starts washing. Here is a picture of exactly where the water was when I opened the door:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6o-TDH0BgSqMjN1VGpOaGFxdTQ/view?usp=sharing

In case the picture is not visible or accessible, the water covered the bottom of the dishwasher. There looked to be about a 1/4 inch of water at the bottom.

The easiest way to check a Bosch heating circuit is with a clamp on amp meter. Put the washer in diagnistic mode. Then carefuly remove ur kick plate and then main power suplly wire cover. Clamp ur meter around tue black wire. Close the door machine should stat filling. When the washer first goes into wash look at ur meter it should read 11.0 amps if it does not do this you need to start checking your heating circuit. Hope that helps. 

Washer is waiting for water to be a certain temp before going to next part of the program.  If it can't do it it will run and run and run.

Edited by cmlewis1272

On 1/11/2016 at 9:39 AM, Samurai Appliance Repair Man said:

Let's apply the Samurai Superposition Theorem and break this down into component problems:

1. Water Filling: Start the dishwasher, listen for the wash motor to start, open the door and note the water fill level in the basin. Cancel the cycle to energize the drain pump, let it finish, open the door and note the fill level in the basin again. Report. 

2. Water Heating: First confirm that water is filling. Heating will not occur unless water is in the basin. Then check the heating system by following the procedure on this page: 

So, the water does seem to be filling. Here is the picture of the bottom of the dishwasher as soon as the wash program had started: https://goo.gl/42tRFk

I also then went on to follow instructions to measure the amps posted by cmlewis1272

On 1/11/2016 at 6:00 PM, cmlewis1272 said:

The easiest way to check a Bosch heating circuit is with a clamp on amp meter. Put the washer in diagnistic mode. Then carefuly remove ur kick plate and then main power suplly wire cover. Clamp ur meter around tue black wire. Close the door machine should stat filling. When the washer first goes into wash look at ur meter it should read 11.0 amps if it does not do this you need to start checking your heating circuit. Hope that helps. 

Washer is waiting for water to be a certain temp before going to next part of the program.  If it can't do it it will run and run and run.

Once the washer started washing, the clamp on meter (clamped on the black wire of the main power supply) never went above 2 amps. I am guessing the heater is not working and needs replacement?

Thanks -- John.

Much more common problem on these when there is a no heat complaint is a bad solder connection on control board heater relay.

Your model# falls under a safety recall if your serial number is between FD7905 - FD8505 specifically dealing with your problem.

Bosch© Dishwasher Recall – United States and Canada
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/dishwasher-recall.html

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

1 hour ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

Much more common problem on these when there is a no heat complaint is a bad solder connection on control board heater relay.

Your model# falls under a safety recall if your serial number is between FD7905 - FD8505 specifically dealing with your problem.

Bosch© Dishwasher Recall – United States and Canada
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/dishwasher-recall.html

Regrettably, my serial# starts with FD8602. So next step would be... to access the control board to check for a bad solder connection? Any particulars I should pay attention to?

Thanks J.

Yes, the heater relay connections on solder side of board.  If I remember correctly the two large red wires that plug in with a single connector around the middle of the board.

On 1/18/2016 at 8:51 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

Yes, the heater relay connections on solder side of board.  If I remember correctly the two large red wires that plug in with a single connector around the middle of the board.

ok, managed to get around to the dishwasher today. Took apart the front panel, removed the control module, opened and accessed what I presume is the motherboard. It looks like this:

20160124_152013.jpg

The connection in the red circle is the only one that appears to have something wrong with it. The two in the yellow circles look like they were never soldered and they were left like that by design? I presume I will want to leave those as they are and resolder the one in the red?

Thanks,

John

its not uncommon to see a bosch dishwasher with a burnt solder joint at the relay. thats the 1st place I go to when i get a "runs to long" complaint.

Yes, clean up/remove carbon buildup from relay solder pin using a razor knife and re-solder the one you have circled in red.

Just now, John.Smith said:

So I finally got around to post feedback here. That little solder connection was the culprit of the problem. I soldered that back on, and the dishwasher is rocking again. Thanks to all who replied and helped with this: @Budget Appliance Repair, @cmlewis1272, @Samurai Appliance Repair Man.

Cheers.

Forgot to mention @northeastappliance as well.