Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag MAVT446AAW Washing Machine diagnosis help?

ajf3

Hello all,

Writing in hopes that someone could help in diagnosing some problems I'm having with my Maytag MAVT446AAW washing machine.

When it tries to agitate it just hums and gives off a burning scent...  I think the motor pulley is spinning on the belt, which isn't moving.

I tried the "unofficial" test of holding my left hand on the drum and putting it to spin.  Without any pressure it does spin, but I can very easily stop it from spinning with my hand.

I installed a new transmission pulley/thrust bearing kit, but that didn't seem to do it.  The hand test, I've read, indicates a clutch replacement is necessary - but I'm unable to locate a clutch part on any of the parts sites - is it built into the transmission on this model?

...or might it be something other than the clutch?

Thanks!

• Team Samurai

Brother Ivasquez, that's great you're posting part numbers for people but would you mind using the yellow APP button the editor tool bar? This way it links people directly to the part they need and brings in any associated photos, making for much more helpful post. This 30 second video shows how:

When it tries to agitate it just hums and gives off a burning scent...I tried the "unofficial" test of holding my left hand on the drum and putting it to spin.

Agitate and spin are very different functions. Did you try to spin the drive pulley in the agitate direction?

Check the pump, they can get bound by debris in them. Make sure it spins freely both ways.

• Like 1

Hi!  Thanks for the tips...  I took the belt off, both the motor and pump pulley spin in both directions.  The drive pulley (? the one attached to the drum in the center) turns counterclockwise freely, but then just a bit clockwise before stopping - feel kind of like the clutch is engaging for agitate?

No, it's actually a brand new belt - I replaced that first...

Want to make sure  I understand...  with the belt off, unplugged, laying on it's side you're saying the drive pulley should turn freely in both directions?  ...and if it's not, the transmission is likely toast?  Just want to be real clear on that before I give up...

Thanks for all the help!

9 hours ago, ajf3 said:

No, it's actually a brand new belt - I replaced that first...

Want to make sure  I understand...  with the belt off, unplugged, laying on it's side you're saying the drive pulley should turn freely in both directions?  ...and if it's not, the transmission is likely toast?  Just want to be real clear on that before I give up...

Thanks for all the help!

Not freely. It should spin freely in one direction and then turn with some force in the other direction while starting to spin the tub and then it will stop because you can't provide enough torque to disengage the brake before it catches again. Turn the drive pulley in the agitate direction. If it turns freely you can run the motor in agitate with no belt attached. That's an easy way to see that the motor works but it's not always accurate as an unloaded motor will spin when a loaded motor will not.

• Like 2