Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

kerbouchard

kenmore dryer motor

5 posts in this topic

How do you know if a motor has gone bad?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Several symptoms point to a bad motor, what exactly is your dryer doing.  Is it dead???  Does it hum when you try to start it and then goes dead when you release the start switch???  Does it run about 20 minutes and then goes dead and will not restart for 20 minutes to two hours???   Could you provide a model number??

Model number is 86874100.

The problem I am having is that when I push the start button there is humming/buzzing sound and usually it will go dead when I release the start button. One time yesterday however it stayed on but when it got to the end of the cycle the clothes were not dry.

Today with the dryer apart and the drum out I got it to start and stay running and verified that the heating element was on.

This does sound like the motor is going bad or something is binding, not letting it start.  But with the motor running you should have had heat.  The heating element coming on with the drum out is a puzzle, since the motor switch gives power to the element thru 1 and 2 when the motor gets up to speed.   Do not know if you have one problem or two.  Make sure all of the wires are plugged onto the motor and the connections are tight,  loose connections could cause both problems.  Or the motor just cannot pull the load with the drum installed.

Sounds very much like a bad motor. The symptoms are universal.

Let's employ the superposition theorum and solve the entire problem by solving each of its component problems. Motor first, then heat.