Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

3 amp fuse on York Diamond 80 Furnace Blown twice

ccmulder

I live in California in an area that doesn't really need A/C so all I have is a gas furnace for heat (York Diamond 80).  Heat worked fine last winter and never used the unit at all from about June to October and then when I tried turning it on in October got nothing.  Checked it and the 3 amp fuse in the control board area was blown.  I replaced that but got nothing so I turned an "on/off" switch in the unit to off and back on and still nothing, then jumped the heat and power and it turned on.  Removed the "jump" and thermostat operated it fine.  Not sure but my guess is something had to "reset" for it to work.  

So it worked fine for about two months than last night we had a rain storm and had one or two instances of the lights dimming for a split second.  Woke up in the morning and no heat and not really sure when it went out.  Anyway same 3 amp fuse blown so I repeat the process and its working fine again.  But I guess the point is if that fuse blew twice now is there another issue or is it just a power surge?  Should I put in a power strip to plug into instead of directly from outlet to furnace?  Should I wait to see if it happens again? Should I change it to a 5 amp?  

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• ccmulder

• J5*

• alamo1718

did the lights dim because the fuse blew, or did the lights dim because you have a power drop  ?

it might be a case that the 3amp fuse is borderline and a voltage drop with give a current increase and might be just pushing it 

over the edge 

5amp could be an option

a 3amp slow blow might be a better option ?

can you see in the fuse ? is it just open or has it blown big time ? this is a hint of which way you would proceed 

• Team Samurai

Topic moved to HVAC forum. 

You most likely have a low voltage, control circuit, short. Intermittent shorts can be hard to find.  I wouldn't change to a 5 amp. This unit is pretty straightforward and when it's functioning correctly shouldn't pull anywhere near 3 amps on the thermostat wires.If you change to a 5 amp, the problem might damage other components, i.e. transformer or board itself.  Look for wire rubs, where a wire is rubbing against something and shorting out. Visually look at every inch of every thermostat wire. The last one I found was rubbing on the outdoor unit, under the fan, fan motor and rubbing on the refrigerant line itself. I read that you have no A/C so this isn't your issue but just illustrating that it can be hard to find. 

Please be very careful, this is electricity. Theoretically thermostat wires are low voltage wires that don't carry a lot of Amps but you may have a short so you never know. 

Outside chance that the venter motor has a short or is failing. This is the little fan that first starts on a call for heat. 

Might also be internal to the furnace, on the safety circuit. These wires are surrounded by line voltage wires. 

I've never seen or felt the need for a power strip. There are resettable circuit breakers that are 3 amp at hvac supply houses. It  sorta would save you some money on fuses, Lil popper, but it costs 10-25  dollars. 

Was the on off switch the one on the gas valve? 

What did you jump to get the heat to work?

Have you changed the thermostat recently?

Did you hang any pictures lately?

Is the thermostat wire located in the attic where it can be stepped on?

This is dealing with electricity, I'll help as much as I can but if the budget can stand it a call to a hvac pro might be a good idea. A good one could isolate the thermostat control circuit, from the stat to the furnace in about five minutes.