Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag Neptune Dryer MDE9700AYW - Felt Drum Liner

Lee Fisher

Looking for assistance with finding a replacement Felt Drum Liner for a Maytag Neptune Dryer MDE9700AYW.  

I am having trouble believing that there is no replacement available, but that is what it is looking like based on other forums.  It is felt of a certain length attached by heat resistant glue.  Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Right now the only guidance was to buy the whole drum unit (Drum Roller) with the integral felt (approximately $216 on one site).  That is unacceptable in my opinion from a company like Maytag.

This forum has helped me replace the motor and control panel for the twin unit washer MAH8700AWW.  Let's see if we can do it again!

==========Some Relevant Articles that may help or reinforce my doom================

http://www.shopyourway.com/questions/1157067

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/answers-for-whirlpool-seal-w10612022-ap5737110-question-63234.html

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-drum-w10296563-ap4502407.html

http://www.partselect.com/Models/MDE9700AYW/

http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/71bxm-maytag-model-mde9700ayw-drier-when-spins-sounds.html

I am also curious about a "Plan B".  Since Maytag has failed me once again **See my post on the paired Washer MAH8700AWW below** with a unit that is very low quality and does not last long, maybe I could have some fun with the unit.  I translate not lasting long as <10 years for this type of appliance.  Maybe it is me but I feel that washers and dryers should either last longer or be able to be repaired to last longer for those so inclined.

What if I purchased Drum Felt Seal for a similar unit and just made sure I have enough length and go for a "homemade" repair?  While this is certainly not encouraged and would void any remaining warranty, if the unit is dead and the manufacturer will not sell any feasible replacement, what is the harm?  I put the link below for a starter, but I would certainly prefer to buy from RepairClinic since I have had great success with them.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-dryer-drum-felt-33001807-ap4043269.html

This is not really a Maytag dryer, It was built by Samsung for Maytag and they put the Maytag name tag on it.

Unfortunately Samsung doesn't sell the drum seals separately, (as far as I know that is).  I've ran into one of these that had a cracked drum, (these stainless drums are so thin they break on the seam and cause all kinds of damage).  I ordered a new drum and in just a little over a year it ate up the new seals, (I think the drum may have been slightly out of round from shipping - good luck if you can find one and get it to you undamaged).

Those drum seals you are looking at would not be the ones to try and make work, (they don't go on the drum, they attach to the front and rear bulkheads and ride against the drum - you would probably have massive air leaks).

If you want a seal that you might be able to make work the Whirlpool dryers with the lint filter in front are the closest to these, (it appears Samsung copied this model but made most of the parts a little different in size).  This drum seal has pretty much the same profile and attaches exactly like the Maytag/Samsung but is either a little too short or too long, (I can't remember which - I tried one of these on the Maytag dryer I talked about my problems with above)

Part number: 280114

Part number: 280114

Even if the outrageous price of a new drum were acceptable to you, there is a bigger problem - it appears the complete drum for your dryer is no longer available.

Your Maytag/Whirlpool part# W10296536 is the same as the Samsung part# DC97-07520A and both showing as no longer available.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey, thought I would chime in here since I had the same issue with my dryer.  MDY9700AYM.  Maytag Neptune electric dryer.

Felt drum seal was shredded and there is no replacement. Drum is discontinued.

After way too much research I got lucky with part# 280140

This seems to be a nice fit with no modifications needed.  And the part kit comes with the glue.  

Glue is drying as I type, so if there are any problems once installed I'll update, but for not it looks like a match.

• 2 years later...
On 6/6/2017 at 2:31 PM, MikeyAZ said:

Hey, thought I would chime in here since I had the same issue with my dryer.  MDY9700AYM.  Maytag Neptune electric dryer.

Felt drum seal was shredded and there is no replacement. Drum is discontinued.

After way too much research I got lucky with part# 280140

This seems to be a nice fit with no modifications needed.  And the part kit comes with the glue.  

Glue is drying as I type, so if there are any problems once installed I'll update, but for not it looks like a match.

What was the model number of the dryer you put that seal on? I had the same problem and had found a whirlpool seal that worked but completely lost that info. I have a MDG9700AWW I need a seal for. 

Edited by salscamaro