Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Upright Freezer (FUF20DMBRWH), not Freezing

Milanomike

OK, subject upright freezer not cold, thermometer claims 40 F or so.  Fortunately seemed to catch right away as only some small items thawed, big stuff still frozen.  Moved stuff to kitchen freezer.

Symptoms: fan is running constantly, cannot tell, but do not think compressor is running.  Turning setting knob from low to high has no effect, i.e. I do not hear any clicks or hear/feel the compressor does kicking on.  First guess is maybe the thermostat failed, coils are not external on this unit so can't clean, no obvious frost anywhere inside the unit. 

First thoughts to troubleshoot this unit?  Find thermostat and check (for continuity?).  Any other thoughts, searching hasn't turned much up on this unit.

Thanks.

Mike

The first thing to do is to figure out if the compressir is running. If it is, and all the fans are running, and you don't have a buildup of frost on the evap you probably have a sealed system problem. If it's not running you need to figure out why. 

If the compressor isn't running but the fans are it's probably a bad start relay. 

• Like 1

yeah,  if fans are running then odds are it's not the thermostat. If compressor isn't running,  more than likely a failed start device

Edited by DurhamAppliance
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input, I pulled the unit away from the way and found compressor is not running.  Compressor is also hot, making my simple brain think seized, not sure why compressor would be hot if not running.  Will get relay out this afternoon.

Amperage draw readings from compressor would solve this mystery.

compressor can get hot due to relay trying to start it...

In my opinion, an ohm test is more useful in determining compressor failure than an amp draw test when a compressor is receiving power but will not start up. 

OK, it's a nice day here, but I'm in basement with this freezer.  Here's where I is:

- Found start relay assy on side of compresser, pulled off compressor and found it is a 2 part assembly.  The 3 pin unit that plugs into the compressor and a "relay" like item with 2 prongs that plugs in the starter relay piece.  This assembly plugs into the compressor.

1.  Checking the 3 pins on the compressor with my DVM I get

- between common and each pin, 6.8 and 3.1 ohms respectively.

- then between the 2 non common pins I get 9.7 ohms.  According to the all knowing internet, this is spot on as the 2 readings summed up should equal the pin reading when connected in series within .5 ohm.  Looks like compressor coil is good to me. 

2.  So, next step is test 2 prong relay/capacitor somehow to verify it's dead or good, but how?  Can I test with my Fluke DVM?

Thanks for the push in the right direction.

Mike 

No really good way to test a relay...one rule, if it rattles when you shake it, then it's bad...there are some continuity checks you can do with a relay but it's not conclusive....

ini addition to the pin test you performed, make sure you test the pins for grounding....scratch off some of the varnish on the compressor and check pins against the bare metal of the compressor for grounding.

• Like 1

Durham Appliance,

Thanks for input, did exactly as you said above, removed some varnish, checked I had enough off for contact (continuity) and checked each of 3 pins against compressor case.  No continuity in all 3 cases.

No rattling of 2 prong relay, which I'm thinking is a capacitor (why would a capacitor rattle?), no rattling of 3 pin piece either.

Also, searching looks like my starter relay is NLA.....

ok... yeah that's a capacitor.. it won't rattle and your start device is not the style that rattles,  I was thinking it was a different style.

.... it's still available  but quite expensive.... 

Part number: AP3672511

Part number: AP3672511

OK, checked the capacitor with my Fluke it is a 15 uF job and my Fluke reads it dead nuts on.  So that is good.

That means either the relay is dead (thinking most likely as it seems common) or the compressor is seized.  No way to solve without a new relay it appears.  Make sense?

The relay above is not the same p/n as mine.  Mine is a 3ARR51J101 (or 216649303), I guess the p/n could have been superseded.... 

Mike

Great, another project (laughing) thanks for the tip.  Got everything moved out of it so pressure is off.  Will update when I know more, almost super bowl time.

Just thinking a bit more on this, I would assume I cannot simply remove the capacitor and put 120 to the slots to bump the compressor.

Well, looks like a 9 or so cu foot chest freezer is ~250, against at least 100 to fix this unit.  Looks like I'll throw in the towel and get a new smaller unit, don't need one as big as I have now, so only out ~150 or so.  Thanks for the help as always.  I learned a bit about freezers.

Did you rig a test cord like in the link that Durham provided? If the compressor starts with the test cord and doesn't draw much more than 2 amps, then this will start your compressor. Part number: AP4503418

Part number: AP4503418

If you follow the procedure in the link to check the compressor and make the repair with this or the OEM part, don't put $1000 dollars worth of groceries in it until after it has been running for a couple of days. The problem may still be the compressor. The aftermarket relay is a MUCH cheaper experiment.  

• Like 2

I didn't test it with the test cord as I figured the start relay was 100 bucks.  Did not realize this existed.  Clearly a much cheaper option. Will see what kind of time I have this weekend as I need to fix my garage door opener also.....