Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Elite HE5 dryer control panel won't turn on 110.87088601

ClayC

Kenmore Elite HE5 electric dryer

Model 110.87088601

Started a load yesterday and it finished running. I'm not sure if it shut off normally or a little early but the clothes were dry. 

When to put another load in, and the control panel wouldn't power up at all, no lights, no beeps, nothing. Nothing I push makes it turn on. When I open the door, the light comes on, and it will shut off when I push the door switch OR close the door. 

I checked power and I have the proper voltage across all legs at the back of the dryer. 

I unhooked the power for about 10 minutes and plugged it back in and still no control panel. 

I'm assuming I've got a bad panel, but would like a little confirmation. 

thanks!

Clay

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClayC

• sh2sh2

• Emer@ld

• towi203

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've checked the power supply board located under the top of the dryer and all of that appears to be good. No burnt spots found, and the output voltage to the control board appear to be good at 5 volts. 

My main question is how do I figure out which is bad: the user interface board or the control board??

thanks!

Clay

Using the service manual in the dryer I ran through the tests shown, and got to test 8 I believe which said to "replace the console electronics and housing assembly", so I bought the new control board and user interface board from appliancepartspros.com (http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-cntrl-elec-w10339952-ap4568161.html)

well I installed the parts yesterday and that didn't fix it. :verymad::kopkrab: I still have nothing except for a drum light. 

today I took some time to do some more digging. Ran through the tests again with the same results, so I decided to look around at some other items. 

The only thing I've found so far was the thermal fuse appears to be blown. There is no continuity across the fuse as I would have expected. So I jumpered around it with a piece of wire. I was hoping that would at least do something but nope, nothing. 

So, any thoughts or other things I should look for? 

thanks!
Clay

Yes. In my previous post I said that I tested the thermal fuse and it appears to be blown. I jumpered around the fuse but still have the same result, ie nothing going on with the control panel. 

Oops sorry. 

You say you did all the tests. 

Do you mind running down through what you tested?

sure thing. 

I followed the tech sheet for this dryer. 

First I tried to put it into diagnostic mode, which it wouldn't do. So then I did test 1 (supply connections), which it passed. 

Next was test 2 (Machine control power check), which it passes. 

Then was test 6 (power cube). There is continuity between P2-1 and P003-3 all day long. 

This sends me to Test 7. Test 7 says to 'visually check the p5 connector is inserted all the way', well I don't have a connector plugged into that spot, but all of the others are good. At the end of test 7 it says to replace the console electronics and housing assembly, which I did and that didn't fix it. 

I went back over all the tests with the same result today. 

Now, I did find something interesting with the power cube just now.  With the wires unplugged, at the power cube I get 5 VDC at the blue connector, and I get 5 VDC at end control panel side of the wire with them plugged in. BUT once I plug the wire into the control panel the voltage drops to 1 VDC!!!! 

I tried this same test with the new control panel, with the same result. I get 1 VDC when connected, but once I unplug it the voltage goes up to 3, then 4, then 5 VDC over about a 10 second period. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the power cube???

Lastly, I also checked the thermal fuse which appears to be bad. This must have all happened at the same time because the dryer was working up until it all just quit.

OK, I screwed up! I thought I had the thermal fuse out, but it turns out it was the thermistor. The thermistor appears to be bad, but I found the thermal fuse further inside the unit and it tests out fine. 

that said, I also checked the heating element and it appears to be fine. Not grounded to the case, and resistance measures 17 ohms. 

Sorry I screwed up the thermistor!!!!!!

thanks for all of the help so far! 

Thermistor has higher resistance, like 15000 ohms, replace the power cube and you will be good to go

• 3 years later...

Hi There, I’m having exact same issue on my Kenmore HE5 dryer and have come down to the similar finding on the Power cube as you had. Before ordering the part, just wanted to check with you if it fixed the problem. I understand that you were dealing with this issues a while back but I would appreciate if you could share your final findings....of course of you recall :)

Thanks a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

Let me tell you how I disassembled this dryer 3 times looking for the answers that I found right here. I recently had to replace the oukky wheel and a week later boom no power to control panel out of the blue. Thermistor is good, thermal fuse good, I cleaned the buttons to check for sticking. I visually inspected all the boards. I've had this set for 7yrs and they are amazing. After searching the net I'm glad I came across this post, I am ordering a new cube. Hopefully this is it and I'm not buying a new control board or user interface board.

Power cube came in today and #boom good as new, thanks ClayC for the informative post.

On 12/25/2019 at 8:42 AM, Emer@ld said:

Hi There, I’m having exact same issue on my Kenmore HE5 dryer and have come down to the similar finding on the Power cube as you had. Before ordering the part, just wanted to check with you if it fixed the problem. I understand that you were dealing with this issues a while back but I would appreciate if you could share your final findings....of course of you recall :)

Thanks a lot!

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2016 at 8:29 PM, ClayC said:

Kenmore Elite HE5 electric dryer

Model 110.87088601

Started a load yesterday and it finished running. I'm not sure if it shut off normally or a little early but the clothes were dry. 

When to put another load in, and the control panel wouldn't power up at all, no lights, no beeps, nothing. Nothing I push makes it turn on. When I open the door, the light comes on, and it will shut off when I push the door switch OR close the door. 

I checked power and I have the proper voltage across all legs at the back of the dryer. 

I unhooked the power for about 10 minutes and plugged it back in and still no control panel. 

I'm assuming I've got a bad panel, but would like a little confirmation. 

thanks!

Clay

• 5 months later...

Hi. Thanks for posting this. But as a typical woman I am afraid to order the wrong thing as I am not appliance part savvy. Can you tell me where you ordered the power cube? Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...