Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Water heater trouble shooting

JJ 109

Woke up to a cold shower.  Haven't even looked at it yet.  Is there a troubleshooting guide I can use when I get home?

It is a high efficiency gas with PVC exhaust with fan.

Well does it have a pilot lit? If not my guess would be the flame arrestor needs cleaned.  Usually that's what I typically find wrong with them.  This info is for a more basic gas water heater though. I don't know about the high efficiency,  but if you get a brand and model I may have some info in my water heater paperwork

Ok. I have an AO Smith book here on high efficiency water heaters.  They make a lot of models so it may be close.  SSequence of operations are:

1. Call for heat flashing on screen

2. Gas valve/tstat will do a relay check

3. Display will show temperature set point during the call for heat.

4. Draft blower is energized

5. System will verify pressure switch operation and start a 5 second pre-purge, then air intake fan will turn off

6. Ignitor will start a 12 second warm up period

7. Gas valve/ tsat will open for a 4 second trial for ignition and fan will turn on

8. Main burner flame is detected by flame sense rod. Air intake fan and main burner will continue to operate until water temperature inside the tank reaches temperature setpoint

9. Gas valve de-energized and air intake fan continues for a post purge time of approx.  5 minutes

10. Returns to standby.

This should be fairly close.  These are actually almost just like a gas furnace control wise.  Follow the sequence and report back what you find or where the sequence doesn't continue.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how well you can see that. I used a phone scanner app because my regular scanner doesn't seem to be working.

Edited by BryanS
I can't type

Thank you. While you were doing that, I went to check it out. I jumper'd the pressure switch and it fired off. The blower is not starting.  Upon further inspection it is also very hot, so appears to be stalling. 

Looks like time to replace blower. 

• Like 1

Awesome. Yea if the switch works jumpered then you could have a faulty switch or a blocked exhaust, but in your case I'd say blower sounds like the issue.  If it doesn't read that pressure difference, then of course it won't fire up.

• Like 1

Just a thought. You may want to take it off and inspect the wheel/exhaust pipe.  I know a lot of guys on gas furnaces find critters in the wheels :)

Ok, now I'm having another issue. The igniter comes on, pilot light, burner ignites and then goes off a couple seconds later. Does this ~3 times then gives up.

flame sensor?  Is there a way to verify?

http://heatingandaircooling.com/2012/11/16/how-to-test-flame-sensor/

See if that helps. Basically a microamp reading. The article suggests cleaning with a scotch brite pad.  I've heard using a dollar bill worka too. Basically,  if the flame sensor gets coated it will won't pull amperage when the flame is present.  Apparently,  microamps can vary by application.  Like I said these operate pretty closely to a gas furnace, so the same info should help.  Also you may want to jump out that pressure switch again to make sure that isn't giving you any issues still. 

I'm not sure what else to say without checking microamps.   You need a meter capable of checking microamps.  If the amerage is there and valve isn't staying open then the valve may be your issue.  

?   Any othe thoughts on what would cause it to cycle on/off?  This is probably what caused the blower to fail. 

Im about to scrap this thing . Frustrated.....

11 hours ago, BryanS said:

I'm not sure what else to say without checking microamps.   You need a meter capable of checking microamps.  If the amerage is there and valve isn't staying open then the valve may be your issue.  

Can you explain where you want to check the current?

Ok, now I'm really frustrated. 

Replaced the gas valve, igniter, and flame sensor and it still keep cycling off. 

Im not sure what's left. 

Would really appreciate any help.

First thing so that maybe someone else can give some help is your model number is wrong, you posted it as: MITW50L6EN12 the second character of the model number should be the number "1", not the letter "I".

Correct model# M1TW50L6EN12

This should be the service manual for your water heater www.bradfordwhite.com/sites/default/files/product_literature/238_39935_00.pdf

You say you have a bad fan motor, (draft inducer), but I don't see any place that you said you replaced it yet.

I only see you 

Replaced the gas valve, igniter, and flame sensor and it still keep cycling off. 

Are you bypassing the pressure switch to try and get it to work just to see if everything else is OK before replacing the draft inducer motor?  (That doesn't seem likely since you said you already replaced gas valve, ignitor and flame sensor).

But from you video, I don't hear any fan motor and your flame all falling down like it is doing tells me you don't have correct air flow out exhaust for flame to burn correctly and most likely shutting down on a heat/thermal sensor.

Does your gas valve have any kind of status/flashing led lights?   I don't think it does but if it does there is another manual that should have the codes.  I'm pretty sure yours is an older model without the smart valve that has the flashing status/error code led.

Here's that manual: http://www.bradfordwhite.com/sites/default/files/product_literature/45960A.pdf

Even if the above 45960A manual isn't for your valve type it has very good testing and disassembly instructions that should somewhat pertain to yours.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

Thank you for your response and the manual. It is an "I" not 1, even says MITW50 on manual. 

You are correct, I did not have the fan when I ran this test, I just had the pressure switch and high temp switch jumped.  

I was just trying to verify the fan was the problem.  I didn't see anyway it would know the difference.  

I have it now and will try in tonight with fan running