Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Refrigerator Model# GTS18KCMARBB Defrost Drain Continually Clogging

TimRay

Hi,

Why is my GE refrigerator model# GTS18KCMARBB defrost drain/line continually freezing, resulting in leaking water from freezer into lower 'fridge?

My GE refrigerator model# GTS18KCMARBB is leaking water from the freezer into the lower 'fridge. I unclogged the freezer defrost line about a month ago and the leaking stopped. But the leaking has continued and after opening the back of the freezer I found that the defrost drain was once again filled with ice. I will unclog it like I did the last time but would like to not have to do it again in 1-2 months.

Is the entire drain line to the drain pan clogging? If so, can I do anything with the drain line such as modify any attachments to it such as a grommet (if there is one)?

Is there something malfunctioning rather with the defrost timer?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,

Tim

abaesemann: thank you for the post/question. Yes, that piece of metal is hanging off of the coils and into the drain hole. I made sure to place it back just as I found it. Or at least as it was designed -- I believe, hanging from the coils with the non-curled tip pointing into the drain. 

The next thing I will do is to remove the rear lower panel to view the drain line. And will ensure that it is not clogged by either blowing air up or down into it, or pushing up or plunging down a long pipe cleaner.

AARDL - Yes, the Heater Conduction Wire is hanging from the coils best I can tell when I opened the back panel. Whether or not it was conducting the heat accordingly like it was designed is tough to say. When hanging the wire back on the heater I somewhat crimped it tighter so that it's a tighter fit around the heat coil. And I made sure that the wire end was pointed into the drain hole and even somewhat touching the drain pan so as to better conduct the heat (which I think may make it more effective [?]).

I also pushed a wire brush into the drain line (in back bottom) as far up as I could. In addition to plunging a wire brush attached to a pliable wire hangar down from the freezer top - to clean out the drain line best I could, and to maybe unclog it if it was clogged. Some white solid/sediment material appeared perhaps from 15+ yrs of gradual buildup. I'm located in GA where the water is either hard or soft (whichever contains more minerals, salts, etc. with tendency for calcium or whatever buildup). I wanted to blow some air up and down through the drain line but do not have ready access to an air compressor.

I'll inspect the drain pan in 2 weeks to see if there is any unwanted frozen build up.

But any and all suggestion/thoughts/comments is most welcomed.

Thank you all for your assistance.

4 minutes ago, TimRay said:

Yes, the Heater Conduction Wire is hanging from the coils

Needs to be hanging from the heater

When hanging the wire back on the heater I somewhat crimped it tighter

I hope this is where you put it

located in GA where the water is either hard or soft

Your local water has nothing to do with the water coming fro your coils.

Take a turkey baster with hot tap water and dump it into drain pan and see if it comes out the other end through the trap, or remove trap and clean as needed

• Like 1

Thanks very much, abaesemann, for the input.

"Needs to be hanging from the heater" - gotcha. As I noted, I only hung it on the evaporator coil, dang it!  I obviously didn't know and didn't readily identify the heater.

1. When I re-open the back of the freezer will the defrost heater be fairly obvious?

2. Is it a bar as displayed on the attached/below YouTube video at around the 04:39 mark? Or depends on the 'fridge model?

3. Is the defrost heater attached to the drain pan or does it depend on the model?

"Your local water has nothing to do with the water coming from your coils." - another great point, I wasn't thinking, since the evaporator coil's frost buildup is from the moisture inside of the 'fridge and not city water, as you noted. 

"Take a turkey baster with hot tap water and dump it into drain pan and see if it comes out the other end through the trap, or remove trap and clean as needed" - yup, I used this method to unclog it the last and current time but it now makes sense that if the heat conduction wire is not connected to the heater then it's not transmitting heat into the drain and drain pan then that's why it'll continue freezing. 

I'll re-inspect later and report back.

Thanks again for your invaluable assistance.