Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Hot Point D/W Leak

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 weemon

weemon

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:35 AM

I have a 1993 Hotpoint D/W model HDA400S-48BA, Serial HH706829Y and it leaks from the bottom sheet metal panel near the front (see attached picture). It looks like these are drain holes (grommeted) at either end of a channel that runs cross-unit behind where the fill valve attaches. Water leaks from the LH hole when the dishwasher fills or washes. The leak starts when water beginsto come out of the fill hole on the side of the dishwasher housing during the initial fill cycle.  It stops leaking when the arm starts to rotate.  The dishwasher is in a vacation home and isn't used that much. As far as I can tell, the float appears to be working. There is no leakage out of the door or from around the motor and pump underneath.  The leak apparently is occurring between the fill valve and the inlet in the housing.  What suggestions do you have for diagnosis and repair?

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,016 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:18 AM

Good picture!  Pull the dishwasher out of its cubby and tighten the water fill inlet hose attached to the side on the tub.  Depending on your water hardness, it may be a good idea to remove the fill spout and soak it in vinegar... or just replace that part with it's sealing gasket.

#3 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:58 PM

sometimes you get a little calcium build up in the air gap. remove the hose and use a piece of wire to make sure nothing is in their. usually you wont see anything so try this then run it and see if the leak goes away.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#4 weemon

weemon

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:37 AM

There is no air gap.  The discharge hose is just routed up to a peak, secured, and then routed down to the garbage disposal.  Why would that cause it to leak during the fill cycle?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,016 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:44 AM

Then, obviously, that wouldn't help!  :P  However, the airgap both Denny and I are referring to is on the side of your dishwasher, as I explained previously.

#6 weemon

weemon

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

Just a follow up and thanks :D.  The fill spout had a little calcium in it and it was disturbing the flow of water through the fill spout causing the water to splash out of the air gap and run down the side fo the tub and appear to come out of the hole in the picture.  I was able to flush out the calcium with some lime cleaner.  I didn't remove the spout because it appeared to glued to the side of the tub.  Anyhow, thanks again for the advise.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,016 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:48 PM

Hey, thanks for the followup! 

:party:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics