Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Well let's see if this stumps you :-)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Carole

Carole

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:17 PM

I have a Kenmore front load washer 417-29042992.  Here are the symptoms: It started taking almost 2 hours to wash a load; The timer know came off so my dh used duct tape to put it back on; now it won'd do the fast spin and even when I have the timer button pushed all the way in to shut off the machine the water still keeps on comin'!  I had to manually turn off the water at the back of the machine.

So answers pleasssssseeeeee:gimmebeer:

Thanks so much

Carole

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:13 PM

The long run cycle time could be from a restiction in the fill valve. Does water enter the drum at a good rate or does it dribble in? Check both hot and cold streams separately.

Let's see if you can do that and then we'll go from there.

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:14 PM

I would replace the timer, all your problems point to the same place.

Good Luck

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Carole

Carole

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:22 PM

The water runs in at a medium rate.  We are on a well.  I was also thinking a timer to, but then hey my dh thinks I sit at my desk at work and don't know anythin' about this stuff.  :P However since I am the one who does use it daily (more than once I might add) I figure I might know a little somethin'

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

I think it's premature to condemn the timer-- it may, infact, be the problem, but there is insufficient data to say with certainty.

In re-reading your first post, the problem with the water continuing to come in when the timer is shut off points to a bad water inlet valve; especially when this information is coupled with the fact that you are on a well. We have lots of homes on wells in my area and I see this problem, water inlet valves impaired by well sediment, almost everyday.

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:32 PM

They are known for timer problems. It's an unusual design.

If it keeps filling after you push the timer in, pull the plug and see if the water stops. If the water stops when you pull the plug, I would replace the timer. If the water keeps comming in after the plug is pulled, replace the water inlet valve.

what does "dh" stand for?

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#7 Carole

Carole

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:34 PM

Okay that makes sense.  Now on to the next of the problems.  Does not spin fast only slow.  It used to spin really fast but that is gone now.  Along with getting more than 2 loads during a work day done - :headbang:

#8 Carole

Carole

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

dh=Dear Husband

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:40 PM

I've worked on alot of these washers, changed belts, valves, speed control boards, door latches and switchs, a motor (once). But never changed a timer. Not to say it won't happen or that it's not the problem here, I've just not seen that in my service area.

The problem with your spin sounds like a problem with the speed control board. There's a tech sheet inside the washer behind the ffront quarter panel that explains how to test it. You'll need a multimeter and you'll have to know how to use it.

#10 Carole

Carole

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

Okay we can try that.  My dh knows about electricity - he is in construction and does alot with that so he probably has a ohem testing tool if that is what that is - kinda looks like it.:shock: - Just kidding I will print this for him to read.  However he is in construciton and does electricle, plumbling etc.  Hopefully not to spendy to fix.  Cause the dishwasher is leaking and the water on our fridge hasn't worked in about 6 mths either.  I love this site - now maybe we can get all my stuff fixed!!:P

#11 Lurker_Washer User_*

Lurker_Washer User_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:09 PM

Hi Ms, get your DH fix IT not YOU.

#12 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:00 AM

It might seem like a strange question ,but has anyone thought that dh has put the timer knob back in the wrong position,  and therefore the washer will not perform cycles correctly???

please help us to help you, http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:14 AM

Problem solved-- it was the fill valve:

http://applianceguru...forum2/887.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics