Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Side-By-Side Counter Depth Refrigerator Reliability

Ad-Rock

Hi esteemed Samurai,

I am on the hunt for a primary refrigerator after a home renovation, and the space requires a counter-depth fridge.  The Mrs. and I like a side-by-side configuration for features and value. 

I have so far narrowed it down to two models, the Whirlpool WRS571CIDM vs. the Frigidaire FGHC2331PF.

My number one concern is reliability of the unit, followed by usability.  The Frigidaire is a bit bigger and I like that, but I have seen some of you guys recommend Whirlpool and wanted to check in here to see if you think the Frigidaire would be more or less reliable than the Whirlpool.

Would it be foolish to get a Frigidaire over a Whirlpool, or will their reliability be roughly equivalent?

Thoughts welcome, and thanks for the amazing repair help over the years.

Cheers,

Adam

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ad-Rock

• Hiroshi

• micabay

• Thirstytech

Top Posters In This Topic

All models break. Period.  The real question, is repairability when, not if, they break.  During the first year of ownership, your new machine will most likely covered under a 365 days parts and labor in home warranty.  One of the first questions I would be asking: What companies where you live, would be servicing under this warranty?  

Where I live there is a major shortage of all warranty companies.  Typically what happens, the manufacture has to pay extra for a company to come into our area and work on their product.  With said company, scheduling would take place two to three weeks from today.  There are a few brands in my service area, which schedule even farther out in time.  Simply because of this practice, I advise my customers to not purchase that brand.

As far as Frigidaire or Whirlpool, my preference is based upon the average age of the appliances I see, 5 years old.  So, if I had to pick between a 5 year old Whirlpool sxs or a 5 year old Frigidaire.... I would pick the one my wife liked better.  

10 minutes ago, micabay said:

All models break. Period. 

I would pick the one my wife liked better.  

Two very wise statements indeed!  I live in Washington, DC and I'm pretty sure we have quite a few service companies locally, so hopefully that won't be a problem. 

I was thinking that yes, all models break eventually, but was looking more for any abnormal reliability issues.  Sounds like the Frigidaire it is.

Also we refer a lot of business, so if anyone on here works in the DC area, please do let me know.  Always good to have a dependable appliance tech on speed dial.

Thanks!

Adam

Based on my experience I would get the Whirlpool. The logic behind that decision is based upon my firm opinion that Frigidaire is junk. 

Thanks for chiming in guys.  Thirstytech, could you be more specific?  Have you seen more problems with Frigidaires or are they just poorly made? 

Ordered the Whirlpool based on feedback here and elsewhere.  Hopefully was the right call.  Thanks guys!