Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

LG WT4970CW top-load washer uE/UE errors forever...

Chukarhead

Chukarhead

Model LG WT4970CW, S/NO: 409PNXL69618

We inherited this from my grandmother, who passed a few weeks ago.  Ever since installing it at our house, it hasn't been able to complete a spin cycle.  I've leveled it with a carpenter's level (no effect), and then leveled again to even the gap between the tub and frame (no effect).  We're on a spring water system, so the constant refilling/emptying will cause us major issues this summer!  Any input would be greatly, greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chukarhead

• john63

• PDuff

• Hiroshi

There is a rework from LG that is applicable to your model and serial number concerning a software update to eliminate the UE error code and severe off balance issues.

Contact your local LG authorized servicer and LG may pay for the repair which consists of either upgrading the software of the existing Main PCB or replacing the control altogether.

PDuff is correct that this model has had issues with nuisance "uE"(not an error message) and "UE" (an error message) displayed.

However---this applies to models April 2014 and older (Serial numbers 404PNxxx and lower).

The software version can be checked by doing the following...

Press and hold the SOIL LEVEL and SPECIAL USE buttons

Press the POWER button and release all 3 buttons

Press the START/PAUSE button *once*

The control panel will display "T2" and the software version

If the software version is "12" or "13"---no action is needed (older versions were "10" or "11")

What kind of floor does the laundry room have? Wood or concrete?

How much laundry is typically loaded into the washer (2/3rds full or maximum-to-the-top-of-the-tub?)

How often does the washer display the "uE"/"UE" (every load or infrequently?)

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Corrected software version information per request.

Concur with Brother john63.

After checking the software issue and the leveling of the unit, if the nuisance "uE" occurs, increasing to the point of affecting every load, it may be necessary to replace the motor, which has a part warranty of at least 7 years.

But if you inherited this unit and it was registered or had prior warranty service, LG may want some proof of purchase before approving.

Chukarhead

Thank you both very much for responding!

I followed the directions for the software version, but I think I'm a little off.  T2 is "d7", but T1 is 13.  Maybe T1 is the software version on this machine?

The washer is on a concrete floor.  All feet are firmly contacting the floor, and the machine doesn't wobble when I lean on it (I'm 6'2", 215).  It's currently leveled so that the exposed tub margins are the same all the way around, which is a few degrees off of flat per the bubble level resting on the top of the lid.

The error message affects every load.  We've tried small loads, large loads, in-between loads, loads of only towels, loads of only little-kid clothing, etc.  The loads don't appear unbalanced, and we've tried manually redistributing the load at uE, but it doesn't make a difference.  My wife and I have both spent a lot of time watching the never-ending loads (until it gives up and just reads UE).  The tub never seems to spin very fast--certainly not fast enough to start shaking the machine.  The clothes are always dripping wet after the final attempt.

If it's likely to be a warranty issue, I'll get in touch with LG and see what they need.  We have the manual, but the receipt might be harder to come by.  We'll see!

Thanks again!

Try the following...

With an empty tub...

Place washer in SPIN ONLY mode---press start and observe what the washer does.

Does the washer attempt to enter high speed spin mode---but fail to do so and eventually trigger an error "UE"?

Chukarhead

In spin-only mode, it starts at 13 minutes, "chugs" at along for two minutes, starts spinning, winds up for about a minute or two, gets to 8 minutes, stops, resets to 11, "chugs" for less than a minute, and then the timer goes to 22 minutes and the tub starts filling with water (I assume to re-distribute the non-existent load).  No uE or UE error, just the steps to re-distribute.

Thank you, again, for your help!

Wow.

I thought that the one time I had an LG washer doing that---that is was a one time fluke. Never saw another again.

Drove me crazy.

Replacing the Main Board was the solution (on your model---the software is in the Main Board rather than the Display Board).

I'll locate the part number.

I would also order the Main Board through this site---as this "fix" is based solely on my experience (even LG technical assistance hadn't heard of this).

That way---if it does not resolve your washer fault---it can be returned for a refund (minus shipping).

One other thought that came to my mind...

You can try replacing the Hall Effect Sensor (Part number: 6501KW2002A

Part number: 6501KW2002A

) on the Stator (motor).

The Main Board receives feedback from this sensor to determine if the washer tub is imbalanced during spin.

It's a cheaper component than the Main Board---and worth trying ((although they rarely fail).

In my case---I replaced the Hall Sensor (twice) and this had no effect for the symptoms I was seeing.

Never hurts to rule it out.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Embedded part number

Chukarhead

Thanks again for the diligent help!  Both parts ordered...I'll check back with results!

• 4 weeks later...
Chukarhead

OK, got it figured out.  It wasn't the hall effect sensor or the main board...it was our house.  Specifically, something to do with the electrical circuit that we had the washer plugged into.  After ordering the parts, but before installing them, the display started blinking and acting erratic.  As a last-ditch effort, we plugged it into an extension cord and into a receptacle on a different circuit.  Problems solved.  It runs like a top now--no uE/UE errors, and it runs the full cycle every time, no matter what we throw in it.

Thanks again for your willingness to help!

Wow, did you meter the outlet it was in? Low voltage, or a bad connection/neutral? I had a dishwasher do that to me, it was trying to operate on 91vAC...

Chukarhead
2 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

Wow, did you meter the outlet it was in? Low voltage, or a bad connection/neutral? I had a dishwasher do that to me, it was trying to operate on 91vAC...

I'm not an electrician, so take this with appropriate salt: I metered the bum outlet at 120.4v.  The outlet that actually worked was 121v.  I can't imagine that the machine would be grumpy about running on 120v.  The only thing I can think is that for some reason, the circuit isn't supplying enough amps to get the spin cycle completed.  I'm not sure how that works (see disclaimer)- the circuit isn't overloaded, and we're not tripping breakers.

• 4 years later...

Hello, wanna ask. I want to buy LG LW1015ER. Someone can tell does it have same problems as your LG WT4970CW. Or can you recommend a model that can be cleaned less often?