Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.

KitchenAid Superba 27 KEBS177WWH-0 Broil function

katit

Hello!

I was told by wife that broil doesn't work on our oven. We inherited it with a house. I don't know if it did or didn't work. Wife's assumption it didn't work.

Steps I took:

1. Turn on broil

2. Put my finger on element - cold. 

3. Smelled burning, touched another part of element - burned my finger.

Ok, that was funny. But it did hurt.

So.. She says it doesn't work. I see inner element glowing red. Outer element - cold.

Took element out. Inner - 33Ohm, Outer - 55Ohm.

Measured ~V when "broil" on. Inner - ~250V, Outer ~50V

Is it functioning properly or..? Resistance seem to be OK, beeps on both but little different measurements.

Voltage is there but full 240 on inner and only 50V on outer.

What should I look for next? 

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• katit

• Hiroshi

• BradE

• johntech

John,

Outer element 55Ohm and get's 50V ac, no heat. Inner element 33Ohm and get's red with 246V ac

Where do I look next? Seems like element is OK. I just wasn't sure if there is something "by design" providing 50V to outer

I would inspect the control board for a failing solder joint on one of the relays... 50V may be induction voltage, It sounds like you are receiving neither "leg" of your 240 to the outer element, time to start studying that wiring diagram, brother.

Thanks a lot! I will check that. Hopefully it's something fixable because there is no parts available for this oven

Also looks like you have to select "maxi-broil" for outer element to be energized, so this thing will NOT heat the outer element if you are choosing regular broil by design, so watch for that...

Yes. And I think maxi-broil was selected when I checked. It's a good pointer. Maybe just a switch failure..

Looking at wiring diagram, if inner is working but not outer, maxi switch just about has to be culprit unless wiring issue.

Absolutely right! I just checked before reading your post. It was set on "Maxi broil" and outer element was cold. All I did is put some pressure in "maxi" direction on switch and it started to heat. 

I guess next step is to take panel apart and see if switch can be repaired somehow. Worse case scenario I will short it inside because from what I hear "econo" broil is not useful for my wife needs.

The selector switch can be repaired, there will be small fingers called "wipers" that make contact with a circular trace pattern on the board... Usually a good scrub with alcohol will clean the traces sufficiently to restore function, just be sure to note the position of the wipers and switch parts in order to put it back together exactly as you found it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I got switch out. It's riveted together, have black markings: STEMCO X9011

And I believe PN WW3178126

Is it repairable or I can get this part somewhere?