LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Side by Side No Water through the Door Ice Maker OK!

Icemanxxxv

Icemanxxxv

It is a GE p/n PCS23NHPC BB s/n AH417017. The water through the door quit working. The ice maker works fine and make the normal amount of ice. I can hear the relays/solenoids operate I can feel the water in the hose at the back right lower corner of the refrigerator try to move in the hose, but it just won't flow out of the tube in the door. What am I missing here?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Icemanxxxv

• DurhamAppliance

• Hiroshi

• howdryiam

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be that your dispenser water supply tube has frozen inside the freezer door. To confirm you have water trying to flow to the dispenser first remove the kickplate. On the left side you'll see a water line that snakes up through the lower door hinge and into the freezer door. This goes to your dispenser. There is a John Guest quick connect fitting there. Disconnect it - careful to have towels to catch residual water in the tube. Energize the water dispenser (again be ready to catch water). If you get water there then we know your dispenser valve is functioning and there is a restriction somewhere in the door - likely frozen. If no water there, then your water dispenser supply valve is suspect. (Note - your icemaker is supplied by a seperate valve). Suerte!

check fresh food temps also.   This model uses a damper assembly that is problematic resulting in fresh food section being too cold.   This can freeze the water reservoir. Check compartment thermistors as well to make sure compartments aren't too cold even if damper is functioning properly.  Failed damper and or failed  thermistor (or even a leaky ice chute door)  would actually be your  best scenario as opposed to the line freezing for no apparent reason.  Damper and thermistors can be replaced, however,  if the line is freezing within the door with everything else checking out,  your problem may reoccur and your model does not support the dispenser heater kit. 

Icemanxxxv

The fresh food drawers seem to be at the correct temperature nothing freezes in them. The temperature displays show 37 and 0 for the refrigerator and freezer. How can I check the damper and or the thermistors? 

When I referred to fresh food,  I am not talking about drawers... ie a refrigerator is usually comprised of two main compartments.. fresh foods and freezer... you may see techs refer to it as "ff" or sometimes jokingly as" beer compartment. " You can see the possible confusion if techs referred to  the fresh food compartment as" the refrigerator " since that is what the  entire appliance is called. 

Anyhow,  if yoy have noticed any extreme freezing in your fresh food side then your damper is probably okay.  Yoy may want to check the water reservoir to see if it is frozen.... but first check your line as howdriam advised. 

I insert a plastic zip-tie up the water dispenser tube to 'feel' for an ice blockage, it will usually be about 5 inches down the tube... If the water line kit is not supported by your model, I have used the foam portion of the whirlpool defrost drain heater kit to insulate the inside of the freezer door from direct blasts of freezer air, you just leave the strips of foam attached together and adhere them to the section where the water line comes closest to the inner freezer door... This plus raising the Freezer temp. by 2 degrees is usually successful when you cant use the GE water line heater kit.