Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

110.82870120 - No spin

xman1x

Kenmore Washer -  110.82870120  - doesn't spin, but the agitator spins during the spin cycle. Drain pump is fine, coupler is fine. I'm thinking it's the transmission assembly, but just want to verify before ordering. Any thoughts?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xman1x

• Budget Appliance Repair

• Smashycomman

• Hiroshi

Order a direct drive transmission? Order a neutral drain kit, and keep a agitator shaft assembly handy,  you can fix those badboys in the field! Keep the old trans and open it up! The quick and easy, but expensive, way would be to replace the whole transmission.

Thank you very much. I thought it might have been the transmission, but it's the first time I've encountered an issue where it agitated but didn't spin. Usually it does nothing at all.

After you pull off the motor you should be able to turn the transmission where the coupling is in both directions, one way agitates the other way spins. If it only turns one way then you need a transmission.

Edited by johntech

Might also be as simple as a striped out drive block.

The agitator spinning, (not agitating back and forth), but basket not spinning would almost have to be a bad drive block.  The agitator is only able to spin in the spin cycle from the friction of the seals and bushings in the basket drive spinning the agitator shaft in spin, (you can stop the agitator from spinning by hand when the tub is spinning, should also be able to stop it if spin basket isn't spinning because basket drive block is worn out and drive shaft is spinning inside drive block).

I ended up replacing the whole assembly but the plastic piece in the clutch seemed to have been an/the issue as it was visibly worn and wouldn't rest flush against where it should. 

Not sure if your problem was actually fixed, but if not, or if anyone else reads this topic looking for help...

If a direct drive whirlpool-built washer like this was agitating, but not spinning, one of the first things I'd check would be the lid switch. Some of these models will agitate with the lid open, but none of them will spin with it open.

Smashy, what you say is complete correct and true, But if you read the problem closely the problem isn't that it wouldn't spin in spin cycle but only the agitator was spinning, (not agitating back and forth), but the basket wasn't spinning.

So, by those facts if they are true, then the lid switch has to be OK, and the drive coupler has to be OK.  Pretty much the only thing it could be was a stripped out drive block that let spin basket drip down so it rubs against bottom of tub and can't spin correctly or a bad brake cam driver as it sounds like the original poster found, (I didn't even think of that, I think I've only ran into 1 or 2 broken cam drivers and don't recall if the agitator was spinning in those cases).

Dang, you're right. Didn't read it correctly. This is why I never help on these forums. :)