Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

sears model 253.78892016 ice maker AD-18 not making ice

goliad

Hello, any help will be appreciated.  i have a Sears refrigerator, model 253.78892016 with a factory installed ice maker, model AD-18.  It is not making any ice.  I have verified there is water going to the solenoid control valve at the bottom rear of the refrigerator.  I measure 9.7 volts AC across the two connectors that attach to the solenoid.  I took the connector off to take the measurement.  This is with the arm up or down. Though with the arm up, the vac was 10.3.  The freezer temperature is -2 degrees F.  The freezer was getting a lot of ice build up on the inside of the freezer earlier this year but it is ok now.  It resolved the problem on it's own.  Two days ago, when I first looked at it,  there was some ice in the ice maker and after moving the arm, the ice maker spit out the ice.  But it has not made anymore ice.  The arm was in the down position before I moved it up and down, to get it to spit out the ice.  It has not made ice for several months, at least.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DurhamAppliance

• Hiroshi

• goliad

Top Posters In This Topic

Check for an ice blockage in the fill tube that fits through the back of the freezer wall, if it is blocked, thaw it out and observe ice production. If it freezes over again in a couple weeks to a month, replace the water valve as they will start to seep water in to the tube which freezes and causes this problem. Those voltages you mention are likely induction readings, as the solenoid and icemaker power modules run off 120VAC. If the fill tube is open, remove the front white cover of the icemaker and use a flat blade screwdriver to turn the SMALL gear (at the upper left of the large drive gear) gently and slowly in a counter-clockwise direction until you hear a tiny 'click' and the unit should cycle, THEN go back to the solenoid and meter it for 120 volts during the interval when the icemaker signals for water- no water, but 120V present: replace valve. If the icemaker fills, but no regular harvest, look for a corroded wire on the little thermal fuse inside the icemaker power module.Part number: 3206319

Part number: 3206319

I agree with Hiroshi... check for blockage at the water fill tube.   Follow his advice but you can also test using a 120vac lamp cord.  To do this  remove the power connector to the valve,  and introduce 120vac directly to the valve using the cord (making sure not to kill yourself in the process) .... if  water comes out,  replace icemaker or check fuse as Hiroshi mentioned.  I usually advise replacing the icemaker ... especially if icemaker is 5 years or older as that's about the life expectancy of the Teflon coating anyway.  

If no water,  disconnect the water line at the valve that goes to the icemaker.  Introduce power again.   If no water,  replace valve. If water, there is a blockage in line.

If you find a failure in the valve or a blocked water line,  that doesn't necessarily mean you are home free.  Icemakers that have no time restrictions   can overharvest since there is no water to warm the mold and burn out.  

Edited by DurhamAppliance