Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Troubleshoot modern appliances with confidence…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Guest Peter

GE fridge TFX26PPDACC blows fuse when opened

9 posts in this topic

My wife and I recently purchased the above fridge at a garage sale. The owner claims it is 3 years old, but we have no way of verifying that.

I plugged it in to check it out once we got it home and as soon as I opened the door, the fuse in the basement blew. I flipped the breaker back, and opened the door a second time just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and a different fuse blew. Is this a problem with my fridge, or with the wiring in the house?

If it helps, when transferring the fridge home, it was laid on its side, with the freezer side down.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The refrigerator runs until you open the door? You open the door and the fuse blows? I would have to suspect a bad door switch or the wire to the switch is shorted or off. pop that door switch out of there and let us know

The refrigerator runs until you open the door? You open the door and the fuse blows? I would have to suspect a bad door switch or the wire to the switch is shorted or off. pop that door switch out of there and let us know

I checked it one more time today as I was connecting the ice maker line (we are in the process of moving into our new home, so the fridge isn't in regular use yet). This time, it flipped two ciruits downstairs and the lights never came on. I suspect they bulbs are all burnt out now. I plugged it in to a different socket, and everything appeared to run fine, though with the bulbs burnt out, I don't know how all that is working.

The freezer started emitting a white haze that smelled like burned rubber or something. Could this be oil in the line from having it on its side? I read somewhere that that is one of the things that could happen. Will letting it sit for a while help with that, or does it need to be flushed out?

Thanks for the input so far. I will check out the short circuit situation next time I am over there.

[user=0]Peter[/user] wrote:

the fuse in the basement blew.

.... and a different fuse blew.

Sound strange blowing "two" different fuses for "one" problemaic fridge!? :?:?

It is definitely weird. The first time it blew 1A, the second time it blew 2B, and the third time it blew them both. During one of those times, it must have burned out all the bulbs too, in the freezer and fridge.

1. GE refrigerator 2. shorting out. 3. white haze(freon leak)= JUNK IT:poison:

Honestly, the expense of repairing it isn't worth it, the white haze that smells like rubber burning is a good sign of a burnt out compressor.

So it turns out the outlet was accidentally wired as a 220 outlet. Hence my problems. Everything runs fine now.

You are one lucky guy that it runs at all!!!   ZZZZTTTTT.......:yikes: