Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

GE fridge TFX26PPDACC blows fuse when opened

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Peter_*

Lurker_Peter_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:28 AM

My wife and I recently purchased the above fridge at a garage sale. The owner claims it is 3 years old, but we have no way of verifying that.

I plugged it in to check it out once we got it home and as soon as I opened the door, the fuse in the basement blew. I flipped the breaker back, and opened the door a second time just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and a different fuse blew. Is this a problem with my fridge, or with the wiring in the house?

If it helps, when transferring the fridge home, it was laid on its side, with the freezer side down.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

The refrigerator runs until you open the door? You open the door and the fuse blows? I would have to suspect a bad door switch or the wire to the switch is shorted or off. pop that door switch out of there and let us know

#3 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

The refrigerator runs until you open the door? You open the door and the fuse blows? I would have to suspect a bad door switch or the wire to the switch is shorted or off. pop that door switch out of there and let us know

#4 Lurker_Peter_*

Lurker_Peter_*

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:10 PM

I checked it one more time today as I was connecting the ice maker line (we are in the process of moving into our new home, so the fridge isn't in regular use yet). This time, it flipped two ciruits downstairs and the lights never came on. I suspect they bulbs are all burnt out now. I plugged it in to a different socket, and everything appeared to run fine, though with the bulbs burnt out, I don't know how all that is working.

The freezer started emitting a white haze that smelled like burned rubber or something. Could this be oil in the line from having it on its side? I read somewhere that that is one of the things that could happen. Will letting it sit for a while help with that, or does it need to be flushed out?

Thanks for the input so far. I will check out the short circuit situation next time I am over there.

#5 Lurker_Fridge User_*

Lurker_Fridge User_*

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:02 AM

[user=0]Peter[/user] wrote:

the fuse in the basement blew.

.... and a different fuse blew.

Sound strange blowing "two" different fuses for "one" problemaic fridge!? :?:?

#6 Lurker_Peter_*

Lurker_Peter_*

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:56 AM

It is definitely weird. The first time it blew 1A, the second time it blew 2B, and the third time it blew them both. During one of those times, it must have burned out all the bulbs too, in the freezer and fridge.

#7 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:00 AM

1. GE refrigerator 2. shorting out. 3. white haze(freon leak)= JUNK IT:poison:

Honestly, the expense of repairing it isn't worth it, the white haze that smells like rubber burning is a good sign of a burnt out compressor.

#8 Lurker_Peter_*

Lurker_Peter_*

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:05 AM

So it turns out the outlet was accidentally wired as a 220 outlet. Hence my problems. Everything runs fine now.

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:39 AM

You are one lucky guy that it runs at all!!!   ZZZZTTTTT.......:yikes:
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics