Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Jenn-Air electric oven W132W - No heat (bake, broil, clean)

Jim Smith

I have a 18 year old Jenn-Air electric oven, model W132W, series 23.  Worked fine yesterday, but today no heat in any mode (bake, broil, clean).  Electronic controls, display, fan all work fine, just no heat.  I know the first thing to check is the resistance of the elements, but I find it hard to believe that both elements went bad at the same time.  I'm thinking it's something common to both circuits.

So, once I open this up and don't find any obvious problems (charred wires, loose wires, burnt limit switches, etc.), what is the best way to troubleshoot my little issue?

So, my first thought is maybe one of the two limit switches (WP7403P316-60).  My understanding is one is on the the bake element circuit, while the other is on both circuits.  Can anyone confirm that?  If one (or both) were bad, would the electronic display and controls still have power?  What resistance should I see when the switch is at room temp?  Is it OK to just connect the limit switch wires together (bypassing the switch) as a troubleshooting method (making sure of course that they are wrapped in electrical tape so that don't touch anything)?

My next thought is the temp sensor (12001656).  I understand I should see resistance of 1080-1100 at room temperature.  Is this common to both elements?

My last question is why the Whirlpool limit switch, item # WP7403P316-60, costs $60+!!!  Some sites want $80 for it!  I have bought other limit switches (for a microwave) for $10.  What is so special about this Whirlpool part??  Is there an alternate part I could buy if it turns out it's bad?

Thank you for any input.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim Smith

• Hiroshi

Top Posters In This Topic

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:  I found out how to check the fault codes, but it showed F0-0 which I take means no fault.

Also, once I set the oven to come on (say bake at 350), the fan comes on and stays on.  I also notice a click/hum for about 5 seconds, then it goes off for about 1 minute.  They cycles again - click/hum for 5 seconds, click off for about 1 minute, repeat.  Is this the relay coming on and off?  Does this mean the relay is good, or maybe it works but the contacts are bad?  Is this something to also check, either with a meter and/or visually for non-pitted contacts?

Again, thank you for any input.

Problem resolved! 

Pulled wall oven out of the cabinet, found the problem and also checked a few things (really notes for the next guy who reads this)

• On top of oven
  •     black wired limit switch good (continuity), no heat marks, wires good.
  •     input at wire block good (two sides of 120)
  •     relay on T1 control board seems to work (clicks on/off at 1 minute intervals)

• On back of oven
  •     bake element... BINGO.  disconnect (1/4" connector) to element burned completely off!!  Will replace with hi-temp flag disconnect and cut wire about 1" shorter.
  •     bake element jumps to various readings of resistance (into K & M ranges), will replace this too.
  •     red wired limit switch good (continuity), no heat marks, wires good
  •     Broil element - good, 19.5 ohms of resistance
  •     Oven sensor - good, 1088 ohms of resistance at room temp

So, while the problem is pending installation of the backing element and disconnect, I feel certain this will resolve things.  I'll post again if not.

Looks like you have the problem in a corner Mr. Smith, good work!