Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Samsung Steam Dryer shutting down MODEL#dv350aer/xaa 03

Dutchb

Have a Samsung Steam Dryer electric.

It keeps shutting down Sutter about 3 minutes of running.  

I've unplugged the dryer vent to eliminate a clog and it still shuts down.

I pulled the cover off of the blower motor and found socks tangled up.  Cleaned it out and still shuts down.

What's next?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dutchb

• sh2sh2

• Spannerwrench

• johntech

Turn unit on and press wrinkle and dry level at the same time and hold them for 7 - 10 seconds and you should be able to see an error code.

Hi John,

I tried doing this and I'm not getting anything.

I've also noticed if start the dryer it only runs for about 2 minutes, makes a very lite click noise then switched over to cooling and shuts down after 1 minute.

Do you have anything in the dryer? If you're running it empty on an auto dry cycle it will shut down quickly because it doesn't sense any wet clothes in the drum.

Wet clothes in - and it does the same exact cycle as mentioned previously.

It also smells very hot once it clicks over cool.  Hotter than normal I should say.

If you accidentally unplugged the moisture sensors bars it will do that as well.

Welp, nailed that one. I had the sensor unplugged...I'll run out a few times tonight. Maybe the original clog was my issue. Then I created my second issue with the unplugged sensor.

I'm back!

Just ran a load through and it powered down about 5 minutes into drying.

I checked the elements while I had it apart and both of them had complete circuits. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but figured I'd check them while it's apart.

Next Idea?

Clean the moisture sensor bars with scotch brute or steel wool to make sure there isn't a waxy build up from dryer sheets 

Would that make the whole machine power off though? It's like someone pulled the plug while it's running. It doesn't go through a cooling down cycle at all.  The screen just fades off.

Can you turn it right back on, how is power supply at the moment it shuts off 

If I turn it right back on, out powers back down after about 3 seconds. 

What do you mean,how is the power supply at the moment it shuts off. Not following you

So bare with me in the multi meter department. I'm not great in this area.

So at the plug, I've got 120v on each leg.

Then when I measure the 2 different plugs going into the circuit board, the Brown and black wired plug is 120v but the blue and black plug is reading 103v.

Both of these are unplugged from the board when I checked them.

Does this help at all?

If those readings are good, 103V is low and would likely cause issues. Sh2 probably wants you to see if the incoming voltages change at the moment the dryer fails to run, so you would need to (very carefully) test the incoming power while the machine is running and see if it "drops out" or does anything noticeable- so, you would have your eyes locked on the meter display as you hear the dryer cut off... If there is nothing amiss at the power plug at the moment of failure, you would then do a similar test at the power relay on the control board or test twice (once at each plug you described Brn/Blk then Blu/Blk) and look for voltage changes- with everything plugged in to truly test for weirdness across the (affected) circuits.  Some things will only fail/ show their true colors with an electrical load on them...