Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Monogram ZISP420DXASS overcooling in fridge section

belsonrepair

belsonrepair

I have a GE monogram side by side unit that has been overcooling the fresh food side as of late. The freezer registers right around 0 degrees as it should, but lately the fresh food section has been dropping to around 26 degrees and the only way to get it to stabilize is to shut the unit down completely. All of the temperature sensors ohmed out correctly and seem to be registering the proper temperatures as compared to my temperature readings. I think the quick cool drawer has something to do with it, but I believe it may only be half of the problem. The quick chill drawer has been getting as low as 16 degrees and the fan in the drawer seems to run almost constantly (which I believe should only run when the quick chill and quick thaw is set). But my main question is why is the freezer staying constant as the fridge continues to cool? Is it likely a damper issue? Damper seems to open and close correctly. Any direction or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Is there a field service guide or in software diagnostic mode on this unit? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• belsonrepair

• Hiroshi

• AlboGator

Dampers are a big problem on these. Check the top one as well and open and close it multiple times in the diag cycle while watching it. The damper problems I've seen usually drop the temp in the freezer into the -15 to -20 range though. 

belsonrepair

How do you access the diagnostic cycle on this model? And that's what I didn't understand is that the freezer stays pretty constant around 0 to -3 degrees. What are your thoughts on the quick chill drawer? Do you believe that the control board on that drawer could be bad? I don't get why it runs that fan almost 24/7. And I mean the fan inside the quick chill drawer.

You'll have to get a tech manual for it. Think you hold all 4 buttons at the top down, then you have different tests. 

I have seen similar unbidden operation of the "express thaw" feature on the WR55X10942 control, (the LED for express thaw is always lit and when you toggle it to "off," it comes back on by itself after pressing the FFdoor switch) and it means the board is having problems- If the chill fan can't be turned off, and/or it comes back on without being selected, it likely means your board is having logic issues... 

belsonrepair

That's kind of what I thought as well. The only way I can get the fan to stop is to turn the drawer completely off. And do you mean the main board for the fridge or the board for the drawer? Also, do you think that would be affecting the fridge as a whole?

If it is pulling in freezer air constantly, it would definitely affect the temps... Try turning the chill drawer completely off for 48 hours and see if it goes back to 37 degrees (or whatever temp you have it set at).

belsonrepair

Thats what I did most recently actually. I shut off the quick chill drawer completely and after waiting about 36 hours the freezer was at -3 and the fridge was at 25. So it's got me really confused.

GE monogram is a fun brand. Fun like top-compressor Kitchen Aids!

belsonrepair

Here is an update. I reset the main motherboard and shut off the quick chill drawer. The fridge and freezer sections returned to appropriate temperature, -1 and 37 in both sections. So I figured it had to be the control board on the quick chill drawer, right? Well I replaced the quick chill drawer top and turned it on the produce setting which should make the drawer 43. Well I woke up yesterday to the drawer at 16 degrees and the fridge at 28 degrees. Any additional ideas. It definitely seems to be stemming from the quick chill drawer, but I am about out of ideas.

I would go back to basics, for a moment, check the condenser coils for cleanliness and verify that the condenser fan motor is blazing full speed... Is the center divider between the freezer and fridge seeming overly warm?