Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Need to buy new Electric Range - info and advice please

cigarbill

Hey all,

I am at a point where I need to select a new electric range.   Referring to CR as my first reference, here are their top smooth-top single oven ranges  (And yes, there's no #4 - that was a slide-in and I need freestanding):

1. Kenmore 95052
2. LG LRE3083SW
3. Frigidaire Gallery FGEF3035RF
5. GE Profile PB911SJSS 

Not having kept up with who's who in the appliance world, I was hoping for some advice from you.

The LG and the GE don't have knobs for the cooktop elements, they have electronic burner selectors...   That kind of weirds me out - is that something to avoid, or is that an okay option?

Also, I have some appliance biases from many years ago, and I'm hoping that you're able to tell me if they are justified or not...

I've never had luck with Sears, but should that eliminate the Kenmore from consideration?  (And who makes that Kenmore for them?)

Is the Frigidaire an okay model, or rather, is it an okay name in the industry?   I would assume that it is made for them by someone else too.

I have a negative thought about GE based upon parts pricing back when I was doing a lot of DIY stuff on my old appliances - should that steer me away from GE?

Or even simpler - which would you buy for your home, and why?

Thanks so much for the info and advice!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottthewolf

• Hiroshi

• cigarbill

• Sully01

LG makes Kenmore now, those suck.

GE was purchased by Haier, I am sure those will suck soon.

Frigidaire makes their own machines, they are approachable, and you can get repair info for them easily. The new control board for the model you listed is $136 bucks...;)

• 9 months later...

The only thing with sears is a feel like their selection is always getting smaller. I know that appliances and tools are a large part of their business now. I just never was able to find much there. You can check Conn's to see if they're offering those models http://www.conns.com/appliances/ranges 

I myself would avoid all of those and go with a Whirlpool that's not even listed.

This is what I have in my house, and I love it.  Best repair record in my opinion and their electronic controls are much better than Frigidaire's.

https://www.whirlpool.com/kitchen/cooking/ranges/single-oven-freestanding/p.5.3-cu.-ft.-freestanding-electric-range-with-easy-wipe-ceramic-glass-cooktop.wfe515s0ew.html