Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Older Kenmore having trouble agitating

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 superb2

superb2

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:05 PM

I have a older Kenmore 70Series model 82372110

The shaft is spinning. So I tightened the bolt at the top of the agitator that connects it to the shaft. It began to work fine, but as soon as I start washing clothes the bolt begins to loosen. It will make about 1 turn before it loosens.

Is that bolt the only connection to the shaft? Does the entire agitator rely on the pressure of of that one point to keep moving. Is their something other than the bolt and rubber seal? I pulled the agitator out and I didn't see any thing else to play with.

Is their another issue?

Thanks for your help

B

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:04 PM

Yes, the agitator has splines that engage with the splines on the transmission agitator shaft. The splines up in the agitator have been stripped out.

Replace the agitator....

Here's where to get what you need: CLICK HERE

Kind of expensive at $109. You might want to take the old one out and take it to you local appliance shop and see if you can find a used one for much less.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 superb2

superb2

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:27 AM

I have the belt driven type of washer.  What do the splines look like on the shaft and agitator.  I expected to see something worn down grooves, but instead I see nothing at all on the agitator.

I can't seem to find a picture or diagram.

B

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:32 AM

The splines on the outside of the agitator shaft line up with splines on the inside top of your agitator.  You will need to turn the agitator upside down and look at the inside top with a flashlight to see if the grooves are still there or if it is worn smoothe.  And of course see if the splines on the transmission shaft are good or worn down.  If it is the transmission shaft worn down would need to replace the transmission.  If it is the agitator, take it to a repair shop to see if they can match it up with a used one.  If the splines look good on both items, you either have a worn bolt or the threads are stripped inside of the shaft. Let us know what you find.  OPegi
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 superb2

superb2

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:18 PM

you were right on.  The Agitator has no grooves left.  Its been smoothed out.  I'm going to briefly look for a used one in the local area.  If I can't find one, a new part is worth more than the machine.  It looks like its time to put it out of its misery. 

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

Darn!!  Just checked the sears site and a new agitator is $134.49!!   Holy Cow!!!  Let us hope you can find a used one!!  Does not have to be the same style, most Whirlpool/Kenmore belt driven agitators are interchangable, just so it has groovy ;)grooves......
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:11 AM

Want to see something interesting guys?????

Lower part of agitator part# 350990 Sears $135, RepairClinic $109

Purchase complete agitator which includes the bleach dispenser, new bolt/washer, cap and cap seal.

Complete Agitator part# 285121 Sears $89 RepairClinc $74 CLICK HERE

Much more reasonable, but maybe still more than you want to put into this old machine, (If rest of machine is still in good condition it would be worth the money to keep this old machine going, it's much better than some of the new junk out there).

If you still would be interested in a used agitator, I have 3 belt drives at the scrap yard that might have the agitator that you need or one that will work for you, it may not have the top screw, (clothes mover), section style. I will check to see what they are and if you want one and you're willing to pay $15.00 plus what ever it would cost to ship UPS from California to you then get back in touch with me here on the message board.

I will check tommorow afternoon and save one that will work for you if any are correct. I won't be back here checking the message board until early Friday morning again so will let you know then if one will work for you and you can let me know if you're interested or not.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:55 PM

Superb2, just incase you come back and see this.

Yes, I have the used agitator you need. If you're interested post here or send a private message by clicking on my name "buget appliance repair" over to the left of my post.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics