Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Refrigerator GFSF6KEXCWW not working

domr

Well its been exactly 5 years and our GE refrigerator stopped working.  The temps are now 60 and 45.  It sounds like the fan is running so it must be either the start relay or the motherboard.   Where and how do I check these?  Could it just be dirty and need to be cleaned?   I took the back off and I believe the condenser is running.  It is vibrating and warm to the touch.  I am at a loss of what to do.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• domr

• vee8power

• BrewHobbyTech

• lvasquez11

Need to check for any frost pattern on freezer evaporator.  Voltage check at compressor

Since there are 3 pins.  Where do I check the voltage?  

I checked the resistance of the compressor .010/.003/.012 ohms.  Shouldn't 2 of the readings be lower than the third?

I also checked the PTC, no rattle or burnt smell, resistance across the terminals was 1.15 ohms.  

If you're certain the compressor is running and neither evaporator has any frost, then there's a seal system issue.  If that's the case, a new fridge is your best bet.

Agreed,  and your pin tests seems to confirm it. 

• 3 weeks later...
BrewHobbyTech
On 7/24/2016 at 4:58 PM, vee8power said:

If you're certain the compressor is running and neither evaporator has any frost, then there's a seal system issue.  If that's the case, a new fridge is your best bet.

Depends on what the exact problem is, what someone or some company is estimating the cost of fixing it, and most importantly.....the customer has the final say on what they are willing to pay to have it repaired. I'm only disagreeing with you saying "a new fridge is your best bet", when, for example, depending on what's wrong with it....say it's a restriction or a leak....and can be repaired rather easily.....I may give an estimate of say $250, which is very reasonable.....that gives the customer a very viable option of having it repaired. Just saying........

I think the issue to be understood here is that it is not common practice for household appliance techs to carry around the tools and recovery equipment necessary to do this job properly. I don't know anybody who taps into a sealed system of a stand alone household refrigerator hoping that the effort will be rewarded by a practical and profitable job. The only scenario I can think of is replacing the filter/drier, no other parts. Recovery, evacuation, and recharging,and brazing in a new one for $250. Then you have to deal with the old refrigerant. It's all a giant PITA. 

If your willing to do this, and you do it properly, I think your service is pretty unique. I didn't know there are people still willing to do that.

Edited by vee8power

BrewHobbyTech
56 minutes ago, vee8power said:

I think the issue to be understood here is that it is not common practice for household appliance techs to carry around the tools and recovery equipment necessary to do this job properly. I don't know anybody who taps into a sealed system of a stand alone household refrigerator hoping that the effort will be rewarded by a practical and profitable job. The only scenario I can think of is replacing the filter/drier, no other parts. Recovery, evacuation, and recharging,and brazing in a new one for $250. Then you have to deal with the old refrigerant. It's all a giant PITA. 

If your willing to do this, and you do it properly, I think your service is pretty unique. I didn't know there are people still willing to do that.

Yeah, it's definitely a PITA but it is mostly all profit, you're just putting in time. We're dealing with a horrible economy and I have to do what I have to do to pay the bills. I'm an independent, a single owner and work alone and don't pull in enough volume of calls, so a few months ago I had to take a second job. It's my specialty, repairing refrigerators. This guy gets in used and new(er) refrigerators, some brand new and deemed "unrepairable" by the factory, and I repair them. I get $40 per repair, and at least half are system jobs. Getting paid $40 for a compressor job or system repair is pretty bad but I'm learning newer systems such as the LG dual evaporator pieces of crap that not many techs will touch. Learning these newer systems helps me in my own business and I will profit from it. If I can make a profit of $200 for a few hours of work repairing a leak or restriction, it sure beats $40 working for someone else, and it gives the customer a very viable option of having it repaired.