Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Dreaded F7 on GE built in.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Ishtim_*

Lurker_Ishtim_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:36 AM

I pwn a JTP56 GE built-in oven (~3 yrs old). I have recently started getting F errors. It started with F0. I opened the oven face and found the "troubleshooting sheet" that gave possible errors and also the the proper resistance for each contact/button circuit. According to this "Ohm" check the Clear/Off button on the keypad was bad. I went ahead and did the pink pencil eraser trick and WOW it worked... but for only a week or so. That's when I discovered this site. Since then I have tried removing the ribbon, and powering it back up (the 24 hour test) as mentioned here
http://fixitnow.com/...ge-built-in.htm

When I powered the system back up, the code immediately goes to F7. Can any one help me pinpoint the error, or am I out the keypad + ERC? :X:X:X

Thanks in advance!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:26 PM

The fact that you're getting the F7 even with the keypad disconnected tells me the problem is not contained to the touchpanel.

You need both the touch panel and the ERC.

#3 Lurker_Ishtim_*

Lurker_Ishtim_*

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:06 AM

My sincere apologies O'Exalted Grand Master of Appliantology.
The error after the 24hr test is actually an F0. Do you know if there has been a re-engineering/re-design of either of these parts or can I expect a $300+ parts bill every few years?

FYI: This error began the day after our last self-clean cycle.

PS: Did I tell you that I make my own beer? HOw can I send you some? Current Batch (currently lagering) Marzen or Oktoberfest beer that was brewed in March.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:11 AM

Ok, so F0 with the touchpanel disconnected means bad ERC.  F7 with the touchpanel connected means bad touchpanel.  So, again, you need both the ERC and the touchpanel. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and use that form to buy your parts.

#5 Lurker_Ishtim_*

Lurker_Ishtim_*

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:23 AM

I ordered the touchpanel and ERC saturday afternoon. I still can't believe that I am putting almost $300 dollars into a 3 year old $2000 oven. I will definatlely have second thoughts on GE appliances when we build our next home. From what I have read on the web, I am not the only disgruntled GE oven owner. :soapbox:

Thanks for the advice!
I'll let you know how the installation goes...

#6 Lurker_Rigi_*

Lurker_Rigi_*

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:00 PM

I'm a little confused by the fourth post on this string.  If the purpose of the disconnect test is to determine if the F7 code is caused by a bad keypad (F7 does not re-appear) or by the ERC (F7 does re-appear) why does the appearance of F0 automatically mean both are bad?

The reason I ask is that I'm experiencing just that problem.  On my GE Profile dual oven (Model JTP56WOW2WW) we started getting the intermittent F7 error.  Did the pink eraser test with no improvement.  Attempted the disconnect test but upon reapplying power I got an F0 error within 5 minutes.  Very repeatable.

Is it possible that a problem with the ERC is causing the F7 error when connected to the keypad and the F0 error when disconnected?  Or is that for some reason impossible?

Thanks for the advice oh knowledgable one.

#7 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:16 AM

You may find the answer you seek here

#8 Lurker_Kent_*

Lurker_Kent_*

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:28 AM

I have a similar problem with the same GE Model. Mine is an electric double oven wall unit, JTP56 CD1CC. I started getting the F0 error a little while ago. The unit beeps regularly, and occasionally gives me an F0, which goes away if I push Off.

The funny thing is that the ovens still operates ok, especially when the unit has been sitting with the power off (at the breaker) and I don't operate it too hot.

Just last night I disconnected the ribbon cable, and got the F0 error right at 5 minutes. Does this mean I need a new ERC, or ERC+keypad? And why does the silly thing still operate with a bad ERC?

Thanks.
Kent

#9 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:45 PM

If you got F0 with the touch pad attached as well as detached then I would say it is your ERC that is bad.  If you saw just one F7 during all this I would replace both the touch pad and the ERC. 

It is nice when they error like that consistently so you can experiment and pinpoint the problem.  Most of the time they error intermittently

May the Force be with you and guide you through these darkest of times as you battle with this most evil machine manufactured by the Great satEn in the very depths of hell itself.  

#10 Lurker_Kent_*

Lurker_Kent_*

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:44 PM

I'm having trouble locating the ERC part on the RepairClinic.com website. I see something called the "Electronic clock control kit" (Item # 911154). Is this the part I need to buy?

#11 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:39 PM

Surely the Force is with you, for you have found the correct part.  Yes that is the part that you need. 

#12 harryf

harryf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:23 AM

no, you need the keypanel, the f-o is telling you the keypanel is disconected.

#13 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:08 PM

Suggesting are you Harryf,  that for all of these years,  replacing I should have been,   ERCs that failed to F0 when their touch pads were disconnected? Hmmmmm?

#14 harryf

harryf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:59 AM

noooo, when you disconnect the keypad, especialy on the newer ones f-o will come up as a communication problem, ie-pad not found. 

#15 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:45 PM

Does F0 = pad not found on this grasshopper's JTP5600 series wall oven?

#16 harryf

harryf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

yeah, it should. he got f-0, [communication problem] pad shorted or open. then when he disconnected pad he got same thing, which led to his confusion. i don't agree with this "test".   f-0- change the keypad. i never had a bad erc with this problem.  when erc goes bad it usally does weird things like can't control temp. and sensor o.k.

#17 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:08 PM

Thank You for sharing this most astounding revelation with us.   The casual observer might think that if the ERC issues the same error (F0) with the keypad attached as well as detached that the problem lies within the ERC itself and not the keypad.  Surely the Force must be with you for you to so boldly point out that this is incorrect and that the problem lies within the keypad.  May the Force continue to guide you and shine favorably upon you in your quest for oneness with the Force.  Do you work for a somewhat larger firm?  Are there twenty or more technicians on your crew? 

#18 Lurker_bumgarner78_*

Lurker_bumgarner78_*

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:23 PM

Hi, I have a GE jks05 oven that is also flashing the f7 error. I decided to do a bit of research on the net before calling GE to repair the oven. When I bought the house the previous error had just had the electronic timer replaced and that was 3 years ago. It is still covered under a 5 year warranty.

First question is, is there anything I can try to reset the oven other than turning off the breaker which I have done?

Second question, this oven was installed 12/98, about 8 years ago. Whats the average life of a product such as this?

Any help or advice will be appreciatted!

Thanks

Aaron

Bumgarner78@hotmail.com

#19 mitch5252

mitch5252

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:54 AM

I have a newer (maybe 2002...)GE electric double wall oven (Kenmore, actually - made by GE).

FO fault code started late summer 2005. I could clear it for a while (week or so), then had to pull the breaker. I replaced the control panel once. No fault codes for approximately 2 months or so (can't actually remember). Started up again. With repairclinic.com's great guarantee, I replaced the control panel again yesterday with yet another new one. FO and incessant beeping started within 10 minutes!!! Grrrrrr...

This morning, based on reading this site, I tried pulling (gently, of course) the ribbon cable. Upon return of power, beeping and FO were immediate, with ribbon cable disconnected.

After reading this thread, I'm a little confused (I'm a female with no repair experience at all, although the control panel was pretty straightforward with using lots of pre-disconnect close-up digital pictures to guide me through the re-connections!!!! :) )

Anyway, do I or do I NOT try replacing the touch pad part? Or should I just get a new freakin' oven (non-GE, of course!!!) I hate GE, I've always hated GE...too bad this beast came with the house!!!!

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Michelle

#20 mitch5252

mitch5252

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:43 AM

[user=6769]mitch5252[/user] wrote:

I have a newer (maybe 2002...)GE electric double wall oven (Kenmore, actually - made by GE).

FO fault code started late summer 2005. I could clear it for a while (week or so), then had to pull the breaker. I replaced the control panel once. No fault codes for approximately 2 months or so (can't actually remember). Started up again. With repairclinic.com's great guarantee, I replaced the control panel again yesterday with yet another new one. FO and incessant beeping started within 10 minutes!!! Grrrrrr...

This morning, based on reading this site, I tried pulling (gently, of course) the ribbon cable. Upon return of power, beeping and FO were immediate, with ribbon cable disconnected.

After reading this thread, I'm a little confused (I'm a female with no repair experience at all, although the control panel was pretty straightforward with using lots of pre-disconnect close-up digital pictures to guide me through the re-connections!!!! :) )

Anyway, do I or do I NOT try replacing the touch pad part? Or should I just get a new freakin' oven (non-GE, of course!!!) I hate GE, I've always hated GE...too bad this beast came with the house!!!!

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Michelle

Follow-up to above message: I cleaned the ribbon cable with a pencil eraser...NO beeps for almost 24 hours!!!! I hope it lasts, then I can send that $150 part back just as soon as it gets here! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics