Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Mama Ike

Kenmore Dryer pops breaker

10 posts in this topic

Kenmore Dryer 70 series (don't have model number with me, but can provide later) keeps popping the breaker after a few minutes.   I can run the air dry setting fine, just when I switch to heated cycle it pops.  And the whole dryer feels very warm to the touch. 

I've checked the hose and vent on outside wall of house.  Both clear.  I've cleaned the filter and washed it to remove any built-up residue from dryer sheets (this happens frequently).  I've even replaced the thermal fuse in hopes of that being the cause/solution.

The few rare occurrences that I was able to run a low heat cycle was if the clothes ran on air dry a few times then sat overnight.  It seems that once they are almost dry, then it will run the low heat without popping the breaker.

Any suggestions? _omit comment_  (appropriately red-faced and ashamed for careless words.  No offense intended.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Assuming this is an electric dryer, either the dryer is drawing high amps or you have a weak breaker.  An electric dryer is on double 30 amp breakers. Be sure the breakers are 30 amps if the dryer is electric.  If the dryer is overheating you could have a grounded heating element causing the dryer to over heat or some other short in the heat circuit.  If this is a gas dryer, ignore all of this. On a side note, all of the Master Techs in here helping people own their own business, like me, or work for an appliance repair business, taking time to read this forum and posting replies to try to help the people out there, so does not sit well  when we are referred to in a negative matter, like "hideously expensive repair person".. Pegi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely electric.  I know it's on double breakers, can't tell you for sure if they are 30 amps, but the switches are blue, instead of black, if that tells you anything.

_omit comment_  Sorry about that.  I see that you aren't too far from me.  I live in Flower Mound, TX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, we all say things we regret later... :)  You really need to see if those are 30 amp breakers, and for color I have not seen any that were not black, but means nothing.  Someone needs to see how many amps your dryer is pulling when the heating element is on.  If the amps are within what is on the model number tag on your dryer after you open the door, I would be looking at the electrical in the house.  If the amps are over the rating for the dryer you could have a bad cord on the terminal block, a heating element grounded or another short, burnt wire somewhere in the heating circut.  The outlet your dryer plugs into could be burnt.  Something could have gone wrong inside of your breaker box.  I do not know if you need an appliance repair or an electrician at this point, however your statement the whole dryer feels warm to the touch indicates something might be very wrong inside of this dryer..Pegi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!  I will see about getting those amps tested.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is that "_omit comment_" stuff in your posts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went back and edited out a particular phrase that Pegi mentioned might offend some helpers here.  It was said "tongue-in-cheek" but it's hard to tell things like that just by reading and I certainly didn't mean it to be offensive.  So I took it out.

As for my issue with the dryer, it appears to be an electrical problem, instead of a dryer problem.  We hooked up another dryer and it did the same thing.  Barring a strange coincidence that both dryers have the same problem, we are moving forward under the assumption that we need an electrician and not an appliance repair person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for letting us know what the problem was!!   That was very nice of you, and we appreciate it.....Pegi,,:cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... I do feel silly.  Turns out the circuit breaker was a bit loose.  Don't know how really.  

A friend came over, plugged the breaker back in and, Bob's your uncle, the blasted thing is now working fine.

Thanks for assistance, Pegi!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are welcome, thanks for the reply....;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites