Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Honeywell Electronic Air Filter

try2fix

OK, will try this newish forum.

Have Honeywell(F50E1141) electronic air filter with carrier furnace.  Has 2 cells that come out for cleaning and I have kept them clean.

My question:  some times after cleaning the cells, the system does not "test" as working.  There is a test button on the bottom of the access door that shorts the cell and is supposed to make a popping sound.

In the access panel there is a very detailed flow diagram on how to trouble shoot and I have followed it very carefully.  Neon light is on etc all is in order but no popping sound.  It ususally does pop after cleaning. 

I tested the cells with a volt ohm meter and there is no short between the frame and the collector or ionizer parts.

When the cells are inserted but the power is off, I get a loss of resistance between the frame and the test port; I think this means the connections with the cell and the voltage source are connected.

I think all is well but I am not sure I am getting any ionization if there is no "popping" sound when I press the test button.

Is it possible the light is on but no high voltage is being applied to the ionization wires and collecting plates? 

The neon light stays on when the access door is removed; I don't recall this happening before.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

although the cells appear dry once they have been washed,there is still enough water trapped in them to create a "shorted cell" scenario,i usually recommend that folks turn the power switch off and run the fan for a day with it off to completely dry the cells,then turn it back on- the best way to test is to strike the return duct with your hand when the fan is running and the unit is energized as you'll dislodge some dirt and you'll hear the cells snap as the dirt passes through-remember,when they don't snap,it is a good thing as it is a sign they are clean and efficient.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

I think the cells are quite dry; it has been weeks since I washed them.  I tested the cells too with the volt ohm meter and got no shorting detected.

Is it possible the neon light would be on but no power to the cells?

I am also wondering about the light being on when the access door is off; don' t remember that being possible before.

Thanks

Archived