Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Dishwasher Leak Model DWA63AB

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob S.

Rob S.

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:09 AM

I'm at wit's end with this thing. About two weeks ago, right after my wife had a wine glass break inside the diswasher, it stopped draining. The drain pump made nasty little chunking sounds and the drain water went nowhere. After reading the sage advice and previous experiences of others on this forum (in reference to a Frigidaire dishwasher which is the sister of this one), I mustered the courage to take out the drain pump, disassemble it, and dig out the glass bits that had found their way into the impeller. After feeling quite proud of myself, I reassembled, only to find the noise remained and the drain pump still didn't work. I removed it again, found more glass, and did a more thorough cleaning of the pump. I also removed the drain line and made sure that it was clear and clean. After reassembly -- success. Or so I thought. The drain pump works fine. That proud feeling returned.

But now, the dishwasher leaks - near the door. I discovered it when I ran the dishwasher through a cycle with no dishes inside. The water seems to be dripping from the front of the dishwasher, but there's no way to see where it's coming from. Some water also seems to be coming from the junction box where the 110 V Romex power line comes in. That J-box is in the front of the D/W, near the right side.

Thinking that maybe the dishwasher wasn't level (or that I had screwed up its levelness by taking it in and out several times and caused it to tilt toward the door), I checked it out. It's very level -- only 0.1 or 0.2 degrees off of dead level. It's hard to do better than that.

Any ideas? Could it be a door seal? It's the original seal (7 years old), but it never leaked before the drain pump repair, and I didn't touch it during my work. It doesn't look bad, but it's hard to tell. Could it be that the unit is overfilling a bit? Might I have inadvertently changed the fill level somehow? Is there a water level adjustment on that micro switch that's controlled by the overfill float? Could it be that running it with no dishes in it aggravates the situation somehow, and that the lower spray bar sends bow waves thoughout the floor of the unit that somehow find an escape path? We'd not normally run it empty, but it really shouldn't leak under any conditions.

Thanks for your advice...

Rob

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:20 AM

Bits of broken glass have worked their way into the spray arm and are re-directing the stream against the door gasket. Remove the spray arm and clear out all the gookus with running water and compressed air. All good.

#3 Rob S.

Rob S.

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I removed both spray arms. Dutfully shook them, ran them under water, and blew them out with air. There was no glass or debris.

Got any other ideas? Do you think it's likely a door gasket? Too high a water level for some reason?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:34 AM

Not finding anything with that model number-- re-check it and post the corrected number and I'll see if I can find a bulletin on it.

#5 Rob S.

Rob S.

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:18 AM

That is the correct model number -- DWA63AB. It's called an Amana "Sof Sound III."

As an update, I decided to run the dishwasher with a load of dishes. It didn't leak a drop. We've run it now several times with dishes and there's been no problem with a leak. It makes me wonder if when it's empty, there's some sort of "bow wave" from the lower spray bar. Otherwise, nothing is different and I can't understand why it *doesn't* leak with dishes in it and it did when it was empty.  Perhaps the door seal is more "stressed" when water from the spray bars has the opportunity of striking it directly. The presence of dishes may deflect the water and keep it from striking the door seal.  I haven't re-tested it with no dishes to see if I can re-enact what happened a few weeks ago. I'm sure it shouldn't leak when there are no dishes in it. I wonder if it would be prudent to just replace the door seal anyway.

But now the other problem is back. It won't drain properly. I don't know what is going on. I've had the drain pump out twice, as mentioned earlier. Each time, I found glass in it, but prior to each instance, I could hear an abnormal noise in the pump. Now it's running quietly and (seemingly) properly. When I jumpered 110V to the motor, it dutifully pumped out the dishwasher. I then poured water in the dishwasher, with the pump wired to run constantly, and the water was promptly and completely pumped out. I then ran the pump by turning the timer switch to a position just before "Dry," where the pump normally evacuates water. It worked, but it almost seemed like it timed out a little early and didn't operate for long enough to remove all the water.

Questions: could it be that the timer switch is terminating the drain cycle earlier than normal? Is the length of that cycle adjustable? Could it be that my pump, though "working," is not working at it's proper efficiency and can't any longer get the job done in the alloted time?

I hate to thow any money for new pumps and door seals until I'm sure that such money is wisely expended.

Rob

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:28 PM

Although I'm not finding any bulletins for that model number, I checked another source and was able to pull up something. I would check to make sure that the drain pump is getting 120vac each and every time the d/w enters pumpout. If it is, and still no pumpout, then remove the drain hose from the pump and blow through it. Also make sure the suction hose is clear. If that's all good, then replace the drain pump.

Part link: http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=236751

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics