Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kelvinator fridge-freezer, freezer fan make *rattly noise!*

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 calumniate

calumniate

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

Hi people,

I have this kelvinator upright fridge-freezer that makes rattly noises when the 'evaporator fan?' kicks on. It likes to do this late at night in particular lol. My friends and family comment on its behavoir all the time. A good sweep kick fixes it for a second or two..

I tried putting the model number into some parts searches without any luck, but trust me I checked and rechecked my model number!! Please Samurai have mercy! I think it's because it's a canadian or who knows what kind of model.

This isn't an urgent problem, I've been dealing with the noise but it could be nice to have a (more) silent fridge.

Thanks all,

Russell

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sledge

sledge

IkkĊ-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:46 AM

Is the noise louder in the fridge or freezer or outside the fridge?

#3 calumniate

calumniate

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:03 AM

Sledge,

I'd say outside, in behind the freezer compartment. I haven't pulled out my fridge yet to get true acoustic measurments. I hope there aren't any mice back there!

Russell

#4 calumniate

calumniate

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:12 AM

wait, upon further investigation it's actually louder inside the freezer compartment! hope this helps,

russell

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:46 AM

Remove the rear panel inside of the freezer to access the evaperator fan motor and blade, see if the noise is the motor bearings or a broken fan blade....or the blade could be hitting something..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 calumniate

calumniate

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:36 AM

Thanks Pegi,

I think I know the panel you are talking about. Can I do this while keeping the freezer running, or should I unplug it? (Total newbie)

I'm just curious because maybe I could see what's happening with it on, but I just don't want to hurt myself lol...

Cheers,

russell

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

Should be able to do it with the box running...,;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 calumniate

calumniate

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:34 AM

Sounds good! I can picture myself fixing this already. All I'm missing is a squarehead screwdriver!! I tried using a knife but the screw is really frozen on there. Any tips?

lol

Russell

#9 calumniate

calumniate

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:26 AM

Ok - I found my screwdrivers, popped the evaporator panel off, and noticed that the screws on the fan mount were a bit loose, and tightened them. No luck! There is a bit of movement in the fan still (i.e. I can push-pull it a little), but I'm still having problems identifying the problem. It doesn't look like the fan is hitting anything. It could be a bearing as was mentioned, but I'm not sure how to takt the fan off.

Any suggestions? I know that I didn't help to clarify my problem very well :?

Cheers for beers,

Russell

#10 calumniate

calumniate

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:29 AM

the samurai has instructed me to replace the fan motor. ty!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics