Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whole house fan

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:05 AM

white is common on that motor black is high and red is low if you have nothing between black and white or red and white then you have a bad motor.
"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Northern-Tech

Northern-Tech

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:18 PM

You mentioned that you had an open ground. Not the ideal situation. If the motor was grounded, it should trip the breaker / blow the fuse, but with no ground wire to do this, it wont happen. Check for ground by isolating the incoming power leads, ( shut off breaker first pls ), and checking each wire  to ground by using multi -  meter, set to ohms ( put one  lead on the casing of the motor, making sure you have good contact with the frame ) . Ideally reading should be infinity, or it may say O/L ( overload ) on the meter. (  Normally you would use a " megger " to test the winding, and put a higher voltage on than the motor normally runs. However, since Im assuming you dont have one, you can use a meter ). This only puts in the 9v battery power, but it may show up. If its grounded, its shot.

Note: the windings may be good, but if you have an ohm reading to the case of the motor, the motor is toast.              Pls get that ground wire fixed.

(In canada, if the wire does not have a ground wire, (older wiring ) you can install a Ground Fault receptacle, as an option. Might be the same in US. )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics