Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE diswaher soap cap didn't open

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kthan

kthan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:06 AM

I have a 5yr old GE profile dishwasher and had a problem with a detergent cup.

It is supposed to be open during the washing cycle. But, starting from last night, it did not open (soap did not come out) even after the washing cycle ended. Nor can we manually open it. Is there any idea to handle this problem (before sceduling the service)?  Thank you.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:29 PM

You would have to take the door apart to see what is broken, in the mean time go to the store and get the D/W tablets that you throw into the bottom of your dishwasher.  We have a new dishwasher and this is what i use, easier than messing with that det. cup thing.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 kthan

kthan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

I have a technician visit today. What he suggested was two things.

First, it could happen because of overheat of the control board, which cannot force the detergent cup open. So, he recommended to shut the circuit breaker off for an hour. He was pretty sure that it would work (90%), but, unfortunately, it didn't work.

Second, if it didn't work, he said, there is no choice but to replce the timer (control board), which costs about $300 <150 part +150 labor> (I don't know if it is a reassonable costs, or not. But, it would be better to buy a new machine, if this is the case.

Isn't there any other way we can fix it? I really don't want to throw $800-$900 dishwasher as garbage (even if I didn't purchase it because we are the second owner).

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:35 PM

First, Start by suppling us with a model number and then we will be able to help you.

It sounds like your saying this unit is a electronic control unit not mechanical timer.

On the mechanical timer systems I've seen many times the spring inside the consule area breaks off the spring mounting post, but without a model number I have no idea what kind of soap dish activaction system you have.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 kthan

kthan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:59 AM

The model number is GE Profile GSD4020Z02BB.

#6 kthan

kthan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:36 AM

Another question: Can we temporarily use D/W tablets, as suggested above, for about a month?  What if we just throw detergent liquid after cycle begins?

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:05 AM

No not use liquid or jel D//W det. , they will cause problems in all dishwashers.  Get some of the tabs with or without the wetting agent.  If you have a seperate jet dry disp. just get the ones with out the jet dry ball.  Toss these tabs into the bottom of the tub, close the door and turn the unit on and walk away.  Like I said, we have a new Whirlpool Gold Tall Tub and I use these with no problems.  Will be good to go until you can see about getting yours repaired.  Pegi

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#8 kthan

kthan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for your comments, Pegi.

What I meant liquid was "Cascade liguid." But, I will drop the tablet, as you suggested, to the bottom of the dishwasher and use it.

Thanks for your suggestion about new dishwasher. I hope I can get it fixed before I buy a new one.

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:54 AM

Putting any liquid or jel into the bottom of the tub would work for one cycle only.  The tablets are designed to dissolve at a slower rate so they work thru the different cycles.  I like the ones with the jet dry ball even tho I have the jet dry disp.,  which I also keep full, but I do get the ones now that you do not have to un-wrap each tablet, just pluck one out of the bag and toss.  The ones that are wrapped individually can accidently get tossed in without un-wrapping and there we go doing the cycle over. This will get you going till you see what your soap thingie is doing and get-her-fixed.   :cool:

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:15 AM

This unit is a electromechanical timer, (no way to turn from outside, all controled by electronics), but it actives the soap dish the same way as a full mechanical timer system.

I see this all the time on these G.E. dishwashers.....

Here is a parts break down of your door assembly CLICK HERE

If all operations are working except for the soap dish then you have no problem with the expensive "Control switch assembly":ref#905 and most likely no problem with the " Sequence switch":ref#904 which actually activates the soap dish and rinse aid dispenser.

What you will usually find is the "Spring":ref#837 that holds the "Lever":ref#861 that holds the soapdish closed has broken the little plastic peg which is part of the plastic "Escutcheon":ref#901

If you wanted to replace the Escutcheon, that part is only $39 from RepairClinic CLICK HERE

When I find this to be the problem, I've never had to replace the "Escutcheon", just drill a small hole below where the spring locating peg has broken off and remount the spring in the new hole which you just drilled. This will be much stronger then the original little plastic peg sticking up and will last much longer the the original setup.

Don't try to twist the soap door open, it is jammed shut because when the spring came loose it lets the lever drop down in the wrong position and locks the soap door. Remove all the screws around the edge of the plastic inner door panel. Then gently pull up while wiggling around and you might also have to use a long screwdriver to get the levers unjammed from the soap dish lever.

TURN CIRCUIT BREAKER TO DISHWASHER OFF BEFORE TRYING TO DISASSEMBLE THE DOOR.........

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:36 AM

Real good information there, thanks.  ;)  Will help us also if we run into this problem.  Pegi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics