Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore/Whirlpool direct drive washer suspension?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gratefulwood

gratefulwood

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:17 AM

Hello all,
First off,many thanks to the Samurai for this forum!
I don't know much about washers since we've never had much problem with 'em.
After the agitater stopped working I dragged the machine out to the deck and "tore" it apart and found the bad coupling and replaced it.
After trying to remember how everything was before I took it apart(needless to say I took apart a lot more than I had to)
and putting it back together,the agitater works great but when it spins it shakes badly.
Anyone have any pics or drawings of how it's suppose to be?
I'm not sure I have the three "pins" in the right place?
Many thanks for any and all help!
Bill McK.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:29 AM

This pic shows the main suspension springs:

Posted Image

#3 gratefulwood

gratefulwood

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:43 AM

Wow,
Thanks for such a fast response!
From you're pic it looks like I've got all the springs,and lower,white triangle, in the right place.
Maybe I've got the "upper" triangle wrong?
Also,in you're pic you can see the plastic "cups" that the pins drop down into.
Do those pins just go thru the holes in the white triangle?
P.S. I think I'll contribute to the beer fund:-)

#4 gratefulwood

gratefulwood

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:09 AM

Okay,
I take back what I said in that last post about the upper triangle.I see now that it is fixed.
I dragged it back out to the deck and took a closer look and I have the rear counter balance spring in the wrong place!
I'm pretty sure the pins hold the white triangle in place so let me go out and put it back together and give it a try and I'll let 'ya know what happens.
Many Thanks!
Bill McK.

#5 gratefulwood

gratefulwood

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:41 AM

Success!
Thanks again Samurai!
I can't believe that within one hour of my first post the thing is running.
My wife is so happy,I just might get lucky tonight!
I just wish I would have found this site sooner as I'm sure it would have saved me a lot of time and effort.
At least now I have lot better understanding of how this thing works.
I have to get back out to the woodshop but once again many thanks!
Bill McK.

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:57 AM

The 3 silver pins that dropped into the clear plastic cups are shipping pins that stayed there when the yellow strap was pulled.  These 3 pins and cups are to be removed... :)   Pegi
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 gratefulwood

gratefulwood

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:45 AM

Thanks Pegi,
When I first dragged it out to the deck,(being the grasshopper that I am) I laid the washer on it's side to look "under there".
That's when the pins fell out on the deck and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out where they came from and what they did.
Hopefully someone reading these posts will learn from my mistakes.
Cheers,
Bill McK.

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:37 AM

You are quite welcome.....:cool:    and yes someone else will now know those shipping pins can be removed.  I have had people come into my shop, frantic, with these in their hands, wanting to know how to reinstall them, they were on the floor after they moved the washer....I just smile and tell them to thow them away, the plastic cups were to hold the pins to keep them from falling into something important, like a motor??  But they can fall out over time.  We have seen them come loose and jam between the baseplate and the transmission, which really caused the washer to do the watoosie!! 

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#9 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:04 PM

I got called to a lady, her old belt drive Kenmore had died, and she'd been given her sister's old direct drive. Anyway, this lady's husband worked as a mechanic repairing earth-moving equipment, and reckoned the tub shouldn't be able to move around like it was in this "f.....piece of junk your f....sister offloaded onto us" direct drive. He proceeded to turn it upside down, found the holes where the pins had been and put bolts in them! Of course, I got called because the machine was shaking itself to bits.

(Note - this was one of those calls where when I removed the cabinet, she uttered the immortal words "Oh, so THAT'S how it comes apart", a phrase only marginally less troubling than the other classic "I've already got the back off" :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:)

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#10 nojobtoobig

nojobtoobig

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:28 PM

Pegi

I was searching your site for talk of those exact pins-since they were not in place.

I was wondering should I keep those pins and re install them each time I move the washer?

Also I'm trouble shooting and have decided to take on the drive coupler replacement.  I'm on my way to sears parts to purchase the part., also filter plug kit as I have mistaken these plugs as my sons toy parts and trashed them, now I know.  and one last part I have no clips left on my balance ring how many do you sugest I purchase?  You ask why are they gone-well the top of the basket is rusted about half way and only half is there.  I currently use the washer in its state by prying on the balance ring.  Now the machine does not go into a full spin.  Nothing is clogging the drain it just isn't spinning fast enough to force the water out.  Any information I might still need to consider please let me know.

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:14 PM

You will not need to keep the shipping pins, just be careful if you have to move the washer.  I do not know how many clips hold your balance ring on, might just have to try to guess from how many are still there and how many look to be missing, if they can be purchased.  We have not had to replace any on the DD washers, just the old belt driven with the metal tubs..

#12 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:41 PM

Puzzled about the balance ring - these normally just twist onto the top of the basket, no clips involved.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#13 nojobtoobig

nojobtoobig

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:42 PM

I took the last clamp into sears and while I was there one of the service repair men where right beside me and said they were the clamp for the balance ring.  I looked up the  part and it is 5.95 each.  I think just prying it down works the best for me now.

Any hints or suggestions on putting in the new coupler.  Something about having to put it in straight.  Would love one of those diagrams to how to take it apart and replace it.  Thanks a bunch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics