Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

No air blowing...

Judoka

OK...I know very little about central air systems.

Symptom - I set thermostat to cool, fan to auto. I can hear the air intakes operating and the a/c unit (York) is operating outside the house....BUT, there is very little to no air circulating through the house.

Suggestions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have you checked to see if the filter in the furnace unit is clean?  Is the blower fan coming on as well?

I have not checked the filter in the furnace...not even sure where to look for it....(the filter, that is). The furnace is in the attic, so I was planning to go up there and make sure that all the ventilating tubing is connected. I never have cleaned the furnace filter, so that sounds like it might be a stopping point for the air flow.

Not sure if there is only one fan or two. I thought there is only one blower, and it controls the air intake and circulation of air out as well. but not certain.

Will poke around to find filter and go from there. thks

Oh...another point. I have 2 air intake points (1 on first floor, and 1 on second floor). I put filters in those once every month or so....is there going to be another filter in the furnace as well?

The two intakes that you describe are the cold air return ducts.  This is where your

furnace gets its circulation air from.  There is no real need to install filters in the cold

air return because that is the job of the filter in the furnace.  Generally, the filter is

located inside the service panel either in the front or on the side of the cabinet, on

the intake side of the blower.  If you follow the cold air return duct as it connects to

the plenum and leads into the furnace, this is where your filter is located.  You may

have a model the you can clean and reuse or they might be disposable.  Pay

attention as to the way it is installed - there is usually a sign or arrow indicating air

flow direction. 

ff-change2.jpg

• 1 month later...
Jonathan329

As it happens, I have the exact same problem (or, my mom does).

She cleans her filter pretty regularly. What else should I look for?

jonathan

Is the problem restricted air flow at the vent openings?  Make sure your filter is clean and the cold air return ducts are clear.  Also check the vents to see if there are any dampers that are closed - they should be open.  There may also be a possibilty that the evaporator in the furnace is plugged with dirt, but check the others first.  Depending on your model of furnace and thermostat when cooling is selected the blower should run on high speed.  There are blower motors that have variable speeds - if yours is running on low speed you will have less air flow.

their is also a possibilty that the ducting it self has pulled loose partially from the registers

• 2 weeks later...

Could be any number of things. Is the blower wheel dirty? Can you feel air circulating with fan switch set to "ON" and System switch set to "Off"? Does it circulate air at first with A/C on but stop after a while? The A/C coil could be freezing up due to low refrigerant levels or restrictions/bad metering device.

Archived