Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Replacing Turntable Motor for GE Microwave JVM1860

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fixitdufus

fixitdufus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:36 PM

Most honorable Samurai Appliance Repair Man, I am but a bug on the underside of your well traveled slipper, yet my thirst for knowledge is great.

In accordance with your 11th Law... my wife spilled a lot of water in the microwave and, I think, fried the drive motor for the turntable.

As such, two questions remain:

1) Is there a fuse for the turntable drive motor?  The schematics posted by Steel Scooter1 would seem to indicate that, no, there is no separate fuse.

2) How do I open the microwave to access the motor?  Can I access it from the underside, or do I have to remove the Microwave from under the cabinet (a two person job)?

Your help is certainly appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

The force is telling me there is a 98% chance the motor is bad.  The only way to be  100% sure is with a meter.   

There is no fuse to the motor.

Put a nice big towel or two over the range top and console.  Unplug the microwave or turn off the breaker. Remove the 7 Phillips screws (more or less) that are pointing up holding the bottom panel in place.  The front will fold down and you'll see the motor.  Piece of cake from there.

You can order the turntable motor right here from the bottom of this page.

#3 fixitdufus

fixitdufus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:43 PM

Will check this out in about an hour.... can you tell me what I should read on an ohm-meter for a good vs. bad motor.

thanks in advance!

#4 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

The force tells us "if it's getting power, and it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing, then it's bad".

I believe you'll see on the motor itself 21V A/C. Set you're meter on the appropriate scale and plug the leads into the back of the plastic covers protecting the spade connectors going to the motor.

Put in a cup of water and cook it for a minute. This should give you plenty of time to read your meter.

Type in this part number below 76974 to get this.

Posted Image

#5 fixitdufus

fixitdufus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:24 PM

OK... so, even without the force being with me, I was able to *easily* take the buttom cover off the Microwave... 5 screws, no big deal... Good idea about using a towel to protect the stovetop and panel.

I measured the motor (it is an AC motor)... but it should still, I think, show some resistance.  It shows none.  SO I figured it is open circuit- and blown.

Thanks for the help... I did order a new motor via the link.  I hope it arrives soon.

May the force be with you.

#6 fixitdufus

fixitdufus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:13 PM

FYI... New motor arrived on Thursday. I was a little bothered that the labeling of the replacement part does not match that of the original (which is the same as the part pictured on the web site).

However, I did install it and it works!

Many thanks to you, Jedi Appliance Guy, may the force be with you

#7 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:38 PM

And also with you.

You're welcome.

#8 Lurker_pinball wiz_*

Lurker_pinball wiz_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:23 AM

My microwave was also taken in by the dark side. I applied your teachings, (and the replacement part from you) and the dark side has been banished once again.  The entire battle was 15 minutes!

:D

My thanks to you too, Jedi Master!

#9 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:36 AM

You are welcome.  May the Force be with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics