Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool Gold Side by Side Icemaker

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 misha

misha

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:36 PM

What does the flashing red led beside the on/off icemaker switch mean? My mother-in-law has a Whirlpool Gold side by side and we have the Kenmore Elite side by side...same fridge exactly. On my mother-in-law's whirlpool the red led light is flashing. Our Kenmore has never done that so not sure what it is suppose to mean.
Her icemaker works, dispenses, water works as it should from everything thing I can tell. so not sure if it is suppose to flash like that or not.
I wouldn't ask, but the led on the same fridge under the kenmore brand doesn't flash so wonder if it is indication some type of problem we need to fix? The trouble shooting manual that came with the fridge is absolutly no help.

Thanks in advance

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

Does your ice maker work as well??? There are the original boards and the updated kits and they act different.  I would not campare the two if they both are working properly.  Might not be the same systems.  You did not say if yours was malfunctioning?  Pegi
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 misha

misha

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:39 PM

Hi Pegi,

Yes, my Kenmore works just fine, and so does my mother-in-law's whirlpool gold as far as I can tell. She said that it quite making ice at one point, but started again and that is what I don't understand. The only thing it is doing that it wasn't previously is the led is flashing. That is why I thought it might be a trouble indicator and the problem might be intermitent.
Since I couldn't find the purpose of that LED, not sure what the flashing red means...is it some type of sensor indicator? Both machines are fairly new within the past three years so the boards are what came from the factory

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:18 PM

Does your machine have a water filter ? It could be telling you it's time to replace the water filter.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't read all the posts. That  LED diode flashing is the diagnostic light for the 2 boards that are the optic system that controls the icemaker. This is normal and you need not worry.

The LED can be used by a technician to tell what mode the icemaker is in, what version control boards, and for diagnostics.

If you remove the grill on the bottom front of the frig, you should find a tech sheet and wiring diagram folded up in a small slot. You can read all about the icemaker controls.

nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics