Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
misha

whirlpool Gold Side by Side Icemaker

5 posts in this topic

What does the flashing red led beside the on/off icemaker switch mean? My mother-in-law has a Whirlpool Gold side by side and we have the Kenmore Elite side by side...same fridge exactly. On my mother-in-law's whirlpool the red led light is flashing. Our Kenmore has never done that so not sure what it is suppose to mean.

Her icemaker works, dispenses, water works as it should from everything thing I can tell. so not sure if it is suppose to flash like that or not.

I wouldn't ask, but the led on the same fridge under the kenmore brand doesn't flash so wonder if it is indication some type of problem we need to fix? The trouble shooting manual that came with the fridge is absolutly no help.

Thanks in advance

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Does your ice maker work as well??? There are the original boards and the updated kits and they act different.  I would not campare the two if they both are working properly.  Might not be the same systems.  You did not say if yours was malfunctioning?  Pegi

Hi Pegi,

Yes, my Kenmore works just fine, and so does my mother-in-law's whirlpool gold as far as I can tell. She said that it quite making ice at one point, but started again and that is what I don't understand. The only thing it is doing that it wasn't previously is the led is flashing. That is why I thought it might be a trouble indicator and the problem might be intermitent.

Since I couldn't find the purpose of that LED, not sure what the flashing red means...is it some type of sensor indicator? Both machines are fairly new within the past three years so the boards are what came from the factory

Does your machine have a water filter ? It could be telling you it's time to replace the water filter.

I'm sorry, I didn't read all the posts. That  LED diode flashing is the diagnostic light for the 2 boards that are the optic system that controls the icemaker. This is normal and you need not worry.

The LED can be used by a technician to tell what mode the icemaker is in, what version control boards, and for diagnostics.

If you remove the grill on the bottom front of the frig, you should find a tech sheet and wiring diagram folded up in a small slot. You can read all about the icemaker controls.

nick