Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool SxS (1998) fridge side not cold enough

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ronin

ronin

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

I inherited a Whirlpool SxS Fridge from my brother.  It's aprox from 1998.  It is not cooling as well as I think it should be.  The freezer side seems to be working just fine but the Fridge side just doesn't seem as cold as it should be.

The condenser coils were dirty as heck.  I cleaned this up but it did not resolve the problem.  Although it seemed to make the freezer side colder.  I noticed that of the 2 air vents in the Fridge side, only the smaller upper vent is blowing any cold air.  It's not even very strong.  The lower larger vent is not blowing any cold air at all.

Is this an issue with a fan? If it is why is the freezer side nice and frozen with lots of cold air circulating?  Is there a seperate fan for the fridge side?  Perhaps it's completely another item?  Should I yank out all the frozen goods and see if the Evaporator coils are snowed in?  If I should replace a part can anyone tell me what it is and where I can order it?

Thanks for any help.  In the meantime I will be drinking my milk faster!! :)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:38 PM

Sounds like a good possiblity that you have a defrost problem. Did the unit work correctly for about the first 5-7days then the refrig section started warming up?

If so than most deffinitely a defrost problem.

IF YOU WANT HELP HERE, SUPPLY A MODEL# WITH YOUR REQUEST FOR HELP!!!!! Thank you.....
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:50 AM

Remove the back bottom panel inside of the freezer, and bet you will see a wall of ice.  You will have a bad defrost heater, bi-metal or defrost timer/ADC.  Or a combination of the three. You can get the parts here when we determine what you need.  Defrosting all of the ice will buy you 2-5 days of cooling till you get it repaired.  Be sure to remove the ice every day or 3 till it is fixed... :)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:48 PM

1st       is the evaporator fan motor running, it's the one inside the freezer section? 

2nd      do you have both of the controls set at the midpoints. The freezer control only open or closes the air shutter in the diffuser(that's the air vent at the top left of the frig compartment). turning it to "colder" will starve the frig section of cold air. Often people have it set all the way to "colder"

3rd      when the evaporator fan is running, close the freezer door and see how much air is coming out. Then open the freezer door  and see if the air flow is greatly increased. If so, the air inlet vent(the lower vent in the frig compartment) may be filled with frost. if so you need to spend a bunch of time and melt it out completely.

4th      check the diffuser to see if it is full of frost. if so melt it out completely

5th      be careful melting the frost out, Your liner, diffuser,and air vents are all plastic, they will melt or warp if you use too much heat.

6th     Give us your brand and model number. Our host has many great links that can help

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:50 PM

Also make sure your condenser fan is running, it's the one down by the compressor.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics