Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore washer help needed

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 anna777

anna777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:20 PM

washer (11020924990) Kenmore appears to be washing fine. After spin the clothes are not as dry as they should be.  It spins but slower then usual and squeaks.  Im ready to replace the motor coupler, again, but is it necessary?  What is the problem?

PS how do I get the agitator off? I  removed lid now I see a small bolt (?) about 3 inches into the agitator. Do I need to remove bolt?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:31 PM

Cool, a model number!!   Thanks!!!   Yes, remove the bolt and the whole agitator will pull off.  The squeeking and slow spin could be several different problems, but I would suspect something between the spin basket and the tub first.  Or your drive block that spins the basket is wallowed out and has dropped down on the spin tube and the bottom of the spin basket or filter, if you have one, are scraping on the bottom of the tub.  You could have a clutch/break assy going bad but I have not heard them  squeek.   Pegi
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 anna777

anna777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Pegi!

What would do fiirst? remove agitatior or?

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:09 PM

Remove the case, the top. sides and front come off one piece from the front after you flip the console over the back panel.  You might be able to see if something is between the tub and basket since the tub is fiberglass and you can see thru it. Remove the agitator, then the splash guard and spin basket and take a look.  You might be able to see if something has left a rub trail on the tub.  But that is a lot of work if this is not the problem.  See if you can remove the case and jumper the lid switch to turn it on in  spin and see where the squeek is coming from??

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 anna777

anna777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:24 PM

I remember it is simple but my simple mind cant remember how to remove the clips so I can remove cabinet. pry up or?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:50 PM

Pull 'em out and up using a long screwdriver.  This page has more help.

#7 anna777

anna777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:49 PM

so far so good

cabinet is off. I dont see, or feel ( ran a stick around between drum and liner)

squeek is from center below agitator. is that a screw or a bolt down the center of the agitator? I didnt see any pictures that look like my machines agitator.  it is 2 pieces a large fin piece on the bottom and a seperate piece on topa about 5 inches long where the clips are

#8 anna777

anna777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:26 PM

ok I got the agitator off.  I see a plastic washer that is broken and some metal "shavings" around. Nothing was tangled under agitator.

can inner tub be removed to clean and check outer tub?

#9 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:49 PM

Look at the big nut that holds tthe spin basket to the drive block. That drive block should be at the same height as the 2 raised edges of the spin tube. If it is lower, and you see metal grindings, you need a new drive block.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#10 anna777

anna777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:49 AM

no it does not appear to be lower.

the motor coupling was ok.  im trying to remove the nut to take out the inner drum. slow going without a spanner tool. but I will do it

thanks for all the info

anna

#11 anna777

anna777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:25 PM

:yikes:UPDATE: motor coupling is ok.  removed inner drum. Spanner nut was a devil to get off!   Block drive came right off with inner drum. to my inexperienced eyes it looks a bit worn. Noticed filter at bottom of inner tub seems worn, teeth missing, bottom of outer plastic tub scratched.

does any of this add up to my initial problem of a slow spin?

what parts should I replace?

anna

#12 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:07 AM

Do your inexperienced eyes see a perfectly round hole at the top of that drive block, (missing the two cut out notches that the top two tabs on the spin tube engage).

If this is what you see that, YES, you have a bad drive block. It has stripped out the tabs and top of the drive block that keeps the tub up to the correct level.

When the drive block goes out like this it lets the tub drop down and rubs the plastic filter against the buttom of the outer tub and stop the spin.

Here's where you can get a new one, (also see picture of good part to see what it should look like). CLICK HERE
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#13 anna777

anna777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:45 AM

Willie, when I look down the center of the drive block there are no tab cut outs and yes it looks worn compared to your picture of a new one.

should I replace the plastic filter too?

thanks,

anna

#14 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:07 AM

This would cause your slow spin and squeeking since the filter was scraping on the tub and the drive block just sliding on the spin tube.  You might as well replace your filter also if it is very damaged along with the drive block.

#15 anna777

anna777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:20 AM

will do

Thanks to everyone for your help. Dont know what this old woman would have done without you all!

God bless,

anna:D

#16 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:50 AM

Thank you and you are quite welcome......:cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics