LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

air handler in a small closet

edwardh1

To: ALL (1 of 1)

My Heat pump air handler is in a small closet . One wall of the closet has the filter grill in it, so the closet is under negative pressure as the air handler is open at the bottom and just sucks air from the closet.

The air handler top when the air discharges is connecetd to a big flex duct that goes up into the attic (thru the sheetrock ceiling of the closet).

When I moved in the area around the flex duct was a rough opening bigger than the flex duct- so there was basically a hole around the flex duct into the attic so when the unit ran it sucked hot or cold air from the attic down into the closet- a big energy drain- I have stuffed insulation around it and foamed it.

If I have the unit replaced - its old- what is the professional way to avoid this hole and avoild the "we'l put caulk around it solution- is there one? A flex duct sized sheetmetal pipe with a flange?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ahammer48

Flexible duct work is a killer on air flow due to the ribbing. The air hits the ribbing and slows down to a crawl. The best solution if you can afford it would be to come off the A/H with hard(sheetmetal) duct up into the attic. Where it passes thru the sheetrock into the attic from the closet a collar(flange) can be made to go around the duct and attach to the sheetrock in the closet. That should eliminate the air leakage from the attic down into the closet.

Up in the attic if you can afford it span the entire length of the house with sheetmetal duct and then use flex for your tap offs to the individual rooms. Flex duct runs should never be over 6 foot long due to the airflow problem I mentioned.

If all of this is to much then yes, come off the A/H with sheetmetal. Have a collar(flange) made up and then up in the attic re-attach the exsisting flex duct.

Good luck

Thanks- the sheetmetal section with a collar is a good idea.

About flex duct - no problem if sized right- 95% of all the new homes regardless of price in my city are flex- sheetmetal has died 10 years ago.

Guest ahammer48

I have to be honest with you Ed. I do industrial HVAC, not homes. On my jobs, all duct work, even in small office buildings(2 stories) is sheetmetal. The reason is the smooth walls of the sheetmetal allow the full CFM(cubic feet per minute) and velocity of air to flow. Granted there is some lose even with SM.

I don't know what the residential building codes are, but in industry flex runs can be no longer then 6 ft here in NM. It seems to me that they would have to oversize alot to get proper CFM, but then you'd lose velocity so the air would just kinda fall out of your registers. Remember, flex is awhole lot cheaper then SM. nThats the main reason builders use it.

If the house is small (1600 sq/ft or less, not including garage), then I guess flex would be OK cause the runs aren't very long.Thats the main point. How long is that longest duct run?? Are there gonna be some turns?? All 1 story or 2?? 

If its  simple --run the flex down the middle of the attic and tap off to a few rooms-- then you should be ok. If your going over 25 ft, I'd think twice. 

If its larger then that then, if I could afford it, SM would be my 1st choice. 

Hope that helps.

Archived