Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

GE Triton XL Dishwasher Melted Itself

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Jrott_*

Lurker_Jrott_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:31 AM

I woke this morning to the smell of burning plastic.  I went downstairs and the dishwasher was beeping. I opened the dishwasher, thinking that something had accidentally landed on the heating element and melted.  But actuality, the dishwasher itself had melted!  The utensil basket and the bottom spinner which distribute the water actually melted!  The heating element got so hot that it melted parts of the dishwasher.  By the way, did I mention that the dishwasher was not turned on at the time?  Any ideas?

Model GSD6700G00BB

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:20 PM

It sounds like something was giving power to the heating element when it should not have, or the element was grounded?  How old is this unit???  This recall bulletin was issued this year but does not look like your model number is listed.  Call G.E. and tell them what happened.  You will probably get it repaired for free or replaced.   Be firm with them because your house could have burnt down.  Pegi

http://www.geapplian...sher_recall.htm

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Lurker_Jrott_*

Lurker_Jrott_*

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:46 PM

It's only 2 1/2 years old.  I called GE today and they said that i should contact their Consumer Relations Department on Monday.  They became very concerned when they heard that the countertop above the dishwasher was hot enough to fry an egg.  I'll post again once I hear from GE.

#4 Fixum

Fixum

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:26 AM

sounds as if the dishwashers being built today are all trying this major melt down, I sent some pictures of one that i ran into last week to Samurai, and as he can will post them, The one that I was on was a Frigidaire, it melted the top of the tub into the top rack and had a nice two foot hole in the side of the tub and this one was Not on at the time either.
Fix On

#5 Lurker_Jrott_*

Lurker_Jrott_*

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:59 AM

GE sent a tech out and the tech determined that the control module must be bad.  Gave me a quote for $240 to replace the control module and replace the melted parts.  Needless to say I wasn't happy and called GE.  The offered me 50% off a new machine, but after shipping and installation it wound up being the same price that I could pick up a new one at Best Buy for.  I finally opened the top of the door to expose the control panel and to my surprise it couldn't have been any easier to remove the control module.  It only took me a minute or two to open it up, remove the control module and close it back up.  And for this, GE wanted over $200 in labor!  I called GE back and they agreed to send me the parts directly and let me install them myself.  I  should have them next week and I'll report back if they fixed the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics