Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Kenmore dryer trouble

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_joe_*

Lurker_joe_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

Kenmore dryer model 110.87980100 approx. 15 yrs. old...new motor provided by The Samurai installed by Grasshopper approx. 1 year ago.  Also recently replaced belt, rollers and idler pulley...no change.

The wife is getting frustrated :yikes: with having to manually turn drum and pushing start button again multiple times until it finally starts.  New dryer may be next step, but I hate to replace something I know I can fix.

Any thoughts?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:36 PM

Make sure the belt is on the idler assembly correctly.  If it is routed backwards the belt will slide on the drum and would have to push the drum to get it started.  Be sure the belt  is not upside down. See if something is in the blower assembly rubbing on the blower wheel. Check to make sure nothing is binding, not letting the motor start.  But that motor should have a 1 year warranty, so see when you bought it just incase it is defective.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:52 PM

[user=0]joe[/user] wrote:

Kenmore dryer model 110.87980100 approx. 15 yrs. old...new motor provided by The Samurai installed by Grasshopper approx. 1 year ago.  Also recently replaced belt, rollers and idler pulley...no change.

What are you saying here? :huh: You replaced the motor a year ago and now you're having new troubles?  You replaced the belt, rollers, and idler in attempt to address these new problems? 

If you need help routing the belt, this picture whould help you:

Posted Image

#4 Lurker_joe_*

Lurker_joe_*

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:59 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

[user=0]joe[/user] wrote:

What are you saying here? :huh: You replaced the motor a year ago and now you're having new troubles?  You replaced the belt, rollers, and idler in attempt to address these new problems? 

If you need help routing the belt, this picture whould help you: (picture removed)

My apologies, I am using username "joe" as I am having trouble posting as "kfyodahead".  Chalk it up to being a forum newbie.  I was just trying to get this posted.

About a year ago the original motor began making noise and was replaced.  This starting problem (not turn w/ motor hum) has existed for many months.  I can't recall if this was a symptom prior to the motor replacement or not.  The inability to start has become more frequent over the last several months.  The belt, rollers and idler were changed out this weekend in hopes of one of those being the culprit.  Compared to the originals, the new rollers and idler spin more freely, but the originals didn't seem to be in that bad of shape.  I bought a kit, so the belt came w/ it.  I figured 15 yrs. old, replacing those wouldn't hurt.

The belt is routed properly, as indicated in your picture.

Could the liners on the front and rear of the drum generate more friction than the motor can overcome to start?  I inspected them and they appear to be ok.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:11 PM

The front of the dryer has a teflon ring that helps it glide-- make sure it's intact. You need to remove the front panel to see it. While it's open, inspect the drum's rear felt seal. Finally, remove the rear panel and open up the blower chute housing-- you might find a big ol' wet wad of lint built up in there.

#6 Lurker_joe_*

Lurker_joe_*

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:09 PM

The front teflon glide rings appear to be fine as well.  I'm not exactly sure what the rear felt liner is supposed to look like in good condition, but it is intact.  I did check the blower wheel and chute this evening and found a few items (popcorn seed, paperclip) in the bottom of the removable chute, but am still experiencing the same trouble after removal and reassembly.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:40 AM

Well, if you've checked all the other rolling components, that pretty much leaves either a bad motor or low voltage at the outlet. 

#8 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:36 PM

Odd problem. Just for the fun of it,try taking your belt loose and seeing if that helps your motor start easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics