Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Frozen brake?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_stillbroKen_*

Lurker_stillbroKen_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:52 PM

Kenmore model 110 won't spin and does loud wompwomp sound from break area.
Replaced coupler & clutch & removed inner tub, exact same noise.
Ok, so what does a stuck break usually sound like and what are the most obvious symtoms?
Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:53 PM

It's not the brake, it's the brake cam:

Posted Image

#3 Lurker_stillbroKen_*

Lurker_stillbroKen_*

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:53 AM

A brake cam came in the bag with the new clutch so I replaced it also, original was not damaged but then again neither were the clutch (which may or may not have had a weak spring (5yrs old)) and the motor coupler. With the whompwhomp pesisting even with the inner tub removed I am ruling out the drive block.
I am pursuing this project via the process of elimination and have narrowed it down to either something causing the brake to ingage or the machine is not plugged in.
I won't even ask what a malfunctioning gear case sounds like.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

Run the washer with the cabinet off and see if you can locate the source of the noise visually. Might be a noisy pump or something poking through the inner basket scrapping on the outer tub.

#5 Lurker_stillbrokenKen_*

Lurker_stillbrokenKen_*

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:01 AM

With cabinet out 8in. and up 4in. on blocks I can just make the plug conection (cabinet to control panel).
This affords a fairly decent view from motor to gear case.
Inner tub has been removed.
With knob on spin cycle, engage lid switch and clutch appears to be turning a fraction (1/16th in.?) in rhythm with the very loud whomp whomp whomp emitting from the clutch/break area (as best as I can discern with My face 2ft. away).
I understand the brake is meant to engage at end of spin cycle or when lid has been lifted during spin cycle.
Is it possible for an electrical (control panel) short to confuse this function? i.e. spin and break simultaneously?
Can a fouled/broken pump on one side of the motor hinder any/all of the function on the other side of the motor?
Clutch, break cam & coupler have been replaced thus far and inner tub removed.
This project has taken on a life of its own and ken ain't gonna get his mechanical aptitude butt kicked by no 2 bit clunkamatic washOmachine.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:55 AM

Get the cabinet off and out of the way so you can see what you're doing:

Posted Image

You can jumper the outer two wires of the lid switch together to make the washer run with the cabinet off.

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:34 AM

slide the pump off of the end of the motor shaft after removing the 2 retainer clips and secure pump out of the way and try to make it spin again-this will allow you to see whether the motor shaft is indeed turning,and at the same time,eliminating the pump as the source of the failure.  when you replaced the clutch,did you swap the plastic retainer which secures the inner part of the disc to the collar on the top of the transmission?   is there a chance that you got the brake activator lever caught in the spring inside the clutch housing- the plastic tab which faces downward from the brake can go anywhere inside the clutch disc EXCEPT on top og the spring.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics