Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite Dryer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fourstar

fourstar

Ikkō-ikki

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:14 AM

Model #110.70056990, gas dryer with even heat. This is the model with a touch pad control panel.
About 6 months ago the dryer began to act up. The touch panel funtioned normally for selection of cycle and options, but upon pressing the start button nothing would happen. I can hear a relay click on the control board, but the dryer doesn't start. It usually occurred during periods of heavy use (weekends) and would eventually clear up and resume operation.
My vent tube was plugged with lint and I thoroughly cleaned it. Someone suggested the motor was worn out due to having been overworked when the vent was plugged. I replaced the motor, but the problem continued.
After a while, the touch pad would occassionally lock on the cotton setting and the dryer would run but beep continuously. This problem was also intermittent and would come and go. I found others having similar problems on various forums on the net, and they reported the problem was corrected by replacing the control panel (touch panel, not the control board.) I replaced the control panel and thermister.
I have not had subsequent problems with the touch panel, but the original problem has not been fixed. To repeat: The touch panel funtions normally for selection of cycle and options, but upon pressing the start button nothing happens. I can hear a relay click on the control board, but the dryer doesn't start. Pressing the "start" button a second or more times results in three rapid beeps, like an error message. It usually occurrs during periods of heavy use (weekends) and will eventually clear up and resume operation. Things that usually speed up the clearing up seem to be some combination of unplugging the dryer for a while, selecting different cycle settings, pressing "start", or just leaving it alone for a few hours.
Since I have already replaced two of the three most expensive components on the dryer, I need some reassurance or real trouble shooting help before I replace the control board. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

Fourstar...sounds like a real elusive deal here.  Since you replaced the thermistor, touchpad and motor,  run a test on the door switch.   With the door closed select air dry no heat cycle, press start.  With the console open measure the voltage between P1-2 (motor) and P1-3 (door)...should get a reading of 120.   Try this the next time it pulls this number on you...maybe with a few tests we can get to the bottom of it..Ron

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:00 AM

You could have a bad motor relay in the console but what you are describing is a motor over heating, cutting off on its overload and running again when it cools off.  Check your air flow from the dryer with the vent hose removed.  You could have a bad blower wheel, clogged vent, etc.  Check the exhaust temps to see if the dryer is overheating with the vent hose disconnected, around 150 or so on high heat.  If it runs fine with the hose removed look at your house vent for restrictions.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 fourstar

fourstar

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:51 PM

I suspected that too. I thoroughly cleaned the vent from the lint screen to the top of the roof outlet, but that didn't fix it, so I replaced the motor and relay assembly. That didn't fix it, so I went with the touchpanel and thermistor. Still doing the same thing.
Ron: I've been waiting for an opportunity to take the reading you mentioned between P1-2 and P1-3, but I haven't had it happen when there was time to do the test. I'm now set to do it on the next occurrence...

#5 fourstar

fourstar

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 04:40 AM

Okay, got it last night.  When the dryer shuts off there is no voltage across points P1-2 and P1-3.

#6 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:08 AM

Ok fourstar,  good work,   the bad news is that it is the control board thats causing the problem.  Now to help you out on this there was a service flash out on your model regarding this control board.  They re-designed it because they were having problems with early termination.  They replaced the board with part #3978695.   You can check this out and see if your entitled to have this repair done for no charge.....Ron

#7 fourstar

fourstar

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:21 AM

That would be nice for a change.  The dryer is 5 years old though.  Do I contact Sears?

#8 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:31 AM

Fourstar,  I would,  call Sears service,  tell them you always had a problem with this and you know there was a service flash on the board.  If he's a good tech,  he will see the service flash and charge it back to the store.  I'm not saying this is going to happen but some of the good techs I know would do this.  Anyway we got down to the real problem,  you did check that with the harness connected right?...If you don't get any satisfaction from Sears,   you can get the part here more than likely at a better price...Good luck...Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics