Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

My disrespectful Maytag Washer filled my house with smoke

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beer-Ranger

Beer-Ranger

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:02 AM

My disrespectful Maytag washer model LAT9416 has caused me great embarassment. After my wife placed a giant comforter in it (and left the house to go shopping) it continued to run and fill up our house with smoke. I came home and thought that my washer was trying to set my house on fire. I immediately went over to it and shut if off.  Smoke was spewing from it around the top. Also the smoke smelled like burnt rubber.

I let it cool off and put it on spin to empty the water. All worked Okay but with a little more noise.

It now runs but has a several new clunk sounds in all cycles. I think it may have a flat sided component somewhere.

Are there any illustrations on how to disassemble this washer to do further inspections? What items/parts should I investigate? Should I go buy a twelve pack of beer and a new washing machine?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:14 AM

Beer-ranger, Maytag's aren't my long suit,but it sounds as though your belt may be gone.You should be able to access from under the machine. I'd replace both belts.

#3 Beer-Ranger

Beer-Ranger

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:09 AM

Thank You very much Master Appliantologist.  I think that you have identified the problem. I lifted my washer and the drive belt has major chunks out of it. There are little pieces of the belts under the washer on the floor. The smaller pump belt  looks okay but I think that I will replace it anyway. The larger of the two belts, the drive belt,  smells like it's been on fire.

I was able to take the front panel off of my washer by prying the snap clips under both front corners. Everythings looks okay inside the cabinet. Hopefully I didn't screw up the transmission running it with the defective drive belt.

My washer can no longer fool me and keep secrets from me. I have learned a great lesson here. Thank You.

#4 Beer-Ranger

Beer-Ranger

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

Epilog

Installed the new belts, they make my maytag washer perform honorably again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics