Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

1996 Model Whirlpool Dryer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Obijuana

Obijuana

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:14 AM

Recently my dryer plug and receptacle had a disagreement and melted together.

I replaced the receptacle and rewired it just as the instructions with the receptacle indicated. White to neutral in the center, black to one hot and red to the other. I bought a new dryer cord, of course, and attached it to my dryer per instructions.

The dryer will tumble and sounds good but it heats sporadically and takes twice as long to dry a standard load of clothes. It blows fine. There isn't a lint buildup that I can find.

A bigger problem is that from time to time when you touch the dryer it shocks you which obviously means something is wired incorrectly, but I can't figure out what.

Just to troubleshoot I swapped the hot wires and the dryer sounded as if it was turned on underwater. I did the same thing with the cord and got the same horrific sound out of the dryer. I have a ground problem, but don't know what to do.

Could the fact that the cord melted to the receptacle have permanently de-grounded my dryer, caused damage to the wiring form the breaker box or something to that effect? Sounds crazy, but I'm confused. 

Thanks to all in advance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:40 AM

Your dryer was over heating and drawing hi amps to melt that cord.  First check to see if your heating element is grounded, this would make the case very hot., and could cause a shock,  The long dry times and hot case also indicate there is  blocked air flow from the dryer to the outside. Check your element first, but since you did not provide your model number cannot see where it is located.  If it is not grounded remove the vent hose from the dryer, pull it out and see if the hot case and long dry time have gone away.  If so your dryer vent is blocked.  This will not address the shock problem as that will be something shorted/grounded inside of the dryer unless the outlet in the wall is wired wrong or something bad happened in your breaker box.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics