Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Obijuana

1996 Model Whirlpool Dryer

2 posts in this topic

Recently my dryer plug and receptacle had a disagreement and melted together.

I replaced the receptacle and rewired it just as the instructions with the receptacle indicated. White to neutral in the center, black to one hot and red to the other. I bought a new dryer cord, of course, and attached it to my dryer per instructions.

The dryer will tumble and sounds good but it heats sporadically and takes twice as long to dry a standard load of clothes. It blows fine. There isn't a lint buildup that I can find.

A bigger problem is that from time to time when you touch the dryer it shocks you which obviously means something is wired incorrectly, but I can't figure out what.

Just to troubleshoot I swapped the hot wires and the dryer sounded as if it was turned on underwater. I did the same thing with the cord and got the same horrific sound out of the dryer. I have a ground problem, but don't know what to do.

Could the fact that the cord melted to the receptacle have permanently de-grounded my dryer, caused damage to the wiring form the breaker box or something to that effect? Sounds crazy, but I'm confused. 

 Thanks to all in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Your dryer was over heating and drawing hi amps to melt that cord.  First check to see if your heating element is grounded, this would make the case very hot., and could cause a shock,  The long dry times and hot case also indicate there is  blocked air flow from the dryer to the outside. Check your element first, but since you did not provide your model number cannot see where it is located.  If it is not grounded remove the vent hose from the dryer, pull it out and see if the hot case and long dry time have gone away.  If so your dryer vent is blocked.  This will not address the shock problem as that will be something shorted/grounded inside of the dryer unless the outlet in the wall is wired wrong or something bad happened in your breaker box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites