Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore "laundry center" 90802/90807 combination (top loading) won't spin/agitate

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ry4an

Ry4an

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

The three year old, Kenmore, vertical washer/dryer combo "laundry center" that came with my place won't spin or agitate. I've removed the panels, and I can see the belt running from the motor to the pulley on the sealed transmission unit is intact and on track. When I spin the tub or agitator directly, I can see the belt turn and the motor innards spin, so the mechanical motor to transmission linkage seems okay.

Nothing in the area of the motor or the large capacitor near it smells of magic smoke (that stuff that lives in electronics which you can smell when it escapes and they stop working) or looks blackened. The wide electrical connector going to the motor is snapped on firmly. The evacuation pump runs just fine and when appropriate, so the entire washer timer doesn't seem hosed.

At this point should I be suspecting a burned out motor or electrical problems up in the washer timer? I've got the wiring diagram for the motor connector and washer timer connector; are there any component pairs I can be testing for open/closed/voltage in a feeble attempt to diagnose?

Thanks for any help,

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,586 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:40 PM

If the transmission pulley is turning normally but nothing's happpening in the tub, that's usually a bad transmission. Won't know for sure without a full and valid model number.

#3 Ry4an

Ry4an

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:09 PM

Sorry 'bout the model number. The only service label I can find is on the dryer "half" of my washer/dryer combo. It shows 417.90802991 as the model number.

I guess I wasn't clear before regarding the transmission linkage:

When operating under its own power neither the motor nor the agitator/basket spin.

When I hand crank the basket/agitator with the power off the motor spins.

Thus, it seems to me the transmission and drive belt are fine.

Thanks for your time,

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,586 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:35 AM

So, in other words, the motor doesn't run.  Does that about sum it up?

#5 Ry4an

Ry4an

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:47 AM

Yup, motor doesn't run. My question is, is there any way I can test if the motor is the problem or the timer/electrical feeding the motor? Motor looks fine and so does the wiring running to it. Are their any terminals on the motor I can test for open/short/voltage to get a read on its health?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,586 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:57 AM

[user=877]Ry4an[/user] wrote:

Yup, motor doesn't run. My question is, is there any way I can test if the motor is the problem or the timer/electrical feeding the motor?

Of course, techs do everyday using their multimeters and the wiring diagram to see if the motor is getting voltage or not.

#7 Ry4an

Ry4an

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:33 AM

And I've got a well-worn-in Fluke meter and enough basic know-how to use it, but even with the wiring diagram I'm not able to figure out what readings would be meaningful on the motor terminals?

Should I just check for voltage across the three pairs running to the motor connector when the timing diagram indicates they should be live, or is there any meaningful reading I can take directly on the terminals of the disconnected motor?

Thanks,

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:51 AM

here's a dumb question,is the lid open or closed,the lid lock prevents motor from operating on these units,there's a possibility this is what has failed.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#9 Ry4an

Ry4an

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:03 AM

The lid-lock switch seems fine. I can hear/see the drainage pump switch on/off when it's depressed.

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:10 AM

does the motor make a humming sound?
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#11 Ry4an

Ry4an

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

No, the motor definitely neither spins nor humms/buzzes.

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:10 AM

i think you have probably narrowed it down to either a timer failure,or a motor electrical failure- you say there was no smoke- in this case thats good it means the windings did not burn up. there is a chance the capacitor has failed,but the motor should make a humming noise if it did.  checking the incoming power to the motor can be quite challenging on these as the timer actually switches the neutral(white)side of the line-meaning that all the other wires feeding the motor switch remain hot- this makes it difficult to determine exactly where the power is lost- if you can set the machine control in the spin segment,close the lid,and unplug the machine-you ought to be able to measure continuity between the L shaped prong on the power cord and the terminal on the motor which is fed by the timer(see diagram) if memory serves me,i think it is a white/black tracer wire. if you have no continuity,and you can not see any wires loose or disconnected in the timer/console area,you are probably safe in assuming your timer has failed-this is certainly not uncommon for these machines,but at the same time one should never assume all failures are the same.  this just makes an ASS out of U and ME.      :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics