Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Performa Washer starts to agitate then quits

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:02 PM

Hi Samurai, glad to have a tech around to give some hints.  I've got a Maytag PAV2300AWW Rev. 12 washer that will start to agitate after selecting wash, then after some random time sound like it 'drops into neutral'.  I.e. you can still hear the motor humming but it just quits agitating.  I can usually get it working again by flipping the timer over to spin and then going back to wash, but this doesn't always work.  Spin cycle works fine by itself.  I'm guessing timer or trans prob but it's just a swag.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,605 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:21 PM

Seen lots of bad transmissions on these-- the platic gears inside 'em strip out. When you interrupt it by turning the timer to another setting and then back to agitate, you're just hitting a different set of teeth on that bad gear. It's like a starter motor gear that's had a couple teeth knocked out.

If the motor is still running when the agitation stops, you got a bad transmission.

#3 slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:29 PM

Yeah that sounds exactly like what's happening, a bad gear tooth (or teeth) causing a miss.  So, based on that assumption I'm guessing that it'll be easier (and cheaper) to pitch this 4-year old POS and get another?  Are the $400-500 Whirlpools recommended?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,605 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:35 PM

I'd take the Whirlpool over anything Maytag makes, any day. They're not trouble-free, but the failures don't tend to be catastrophic.

#5 slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:25 AM

The trans in this washer is covered for 10 years, parts only.  Do you know what the labor charge is to replace it?  I'm guessing it's not cheap since it looks like you have to take the washer completely apart to do so.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,605 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:34 AM

[user=881]slowbiscuit[/user] wrote:

Do you know what the labor charge is to replace it? 

Fortunately, appliance repair services are still in the free-market sector of our economy so the labor charge will be whatever the market will bear.  Caveat Emptor!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics