Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
slowbiscuit

Maytag Performa Washer starts to agitate then quits

6 posts in this topic

Hi Samurai, glad to have a tech around to give some hints.  I've got a Maytag PAV2300AWW Rev. 12 washer that will start to agitate after selecting wash, then after some random time sound like it 'drops into neutral'.  I.e. you can still hear the motor humming but it just quits agitating.  I can usually get it working again by flipping the timer over to spin and then going back to wash, but this doesn't always work.  Spin cycle works fine by itself.  I'm guessing timer or trans prob but it's just a swag.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Seen lots of bad transmissions on these-- the platic gears inside 'em strip out. When you interrupt it by turning the timer to another setting and then back to agitate, you're just hitting a different set of teeth on that bad gear. It's like a starter motor gear that's had a couple teeth knocked out.

If the motor is still running when the agitation stops, you got a bad transmission.

Yeah that sounds exactly like what's happening, a bad gear tooth (or teeth) causing a miss.  So, based on that assumption I'm guessing that it'll be easier (and cheaper) to pitch this 4-year old POS and get another?  Are the $400-500 Whirlpools recommended?

I'd take the Whirlpool over anything Maytag makes, any day. They're not trouble-free, but the failures don't tend to be catastrophic.

The trans in this washer is covered for 10 years, parts only.  Do you know what the labor charge is to replace it?  I'm guessing it's not cheap since it looks like you have to take the washer completely apart to do so.

[user=881]slowbiscuit[/user] wrote:

Do you know what the labor charge is to replace it? 

Fortunately, appliance repair services are still in the free-market sector of our economy so the labor charge will be whatever the market will bear.  Caveat Emptor!